• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS Backup And Restore...help viewing files on comp??

xraychick01

Nov 8, 2010
I'm trying to open and view my saved sms files from SMS Backup and Restore on my computer. It says I can view them by opening with Excel. I tried that and it won't open any of my files :( I have Office 2007. Am I doing something wrong or am I misunderstood? Is there a way to open and view these messages on my computer?

Ok. So I've copied the file to my comp and have been able to open in Excel but it's a dang mess. There's just one phone number I want to keep the messages from. Is there a way to separate out just that one phone number? I want to be able to view the conversation between me and that person and I can't figure out how to make that happen?

Upvote 0
I use SMS Backup +, which I believe is the same app. I have mine set up to save all my text and attachments to my Gmail acct. in a SMS folder. The set up is really nice and organized according to each contact/phone number. You might want to try this setup instead.

Hey thanks :) I just found a free downloader to work with it. It's actually pretty decent and separates the contacts out and loads the messages by date. How do I set SMS Backup And Restore to save to Gmail?

Upvote 0
I just checked the Google Play Store and from the looks of the description of the app your using, I don't believe it has that function to save to Gmail. You can check out the app. that I use and see if it works better for you though. I will tell you that you don't have to convert any of your text to view on your computer. Open up the SMS Backup folder and see the text just as they came in thru the SMS app. It restores just as easily.

Upvote 0
I just checked the Google Play Store and from the looks of the description of the app your using, I don't believe it has that function to save to Gmail. You can check out the app. that I use and see if it works better for you though. I will tell you that you don't have to convert any of your text to view on your computer. Open up the SMS Backup folder and see the text just as they came in thru the SMS app. It restores just as easily.

Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to convert the files I have saved now to the one like yours if I were to download it? It would be much nicer and more convenient to be able to view them that way. Thank you!

Upvote 0
xraychick01;[URL="tel:4691726" said:
4691726[/URL]]Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to convert the files I have saved now to the one like yours if I were to download it? It would be much nicer and more convenient to be able to view them that way. Thank you!

I'm not sure, but if the text are still on your phone, down load SMS Backup+ and just do a total back up. Check your Gmail acct. for the SMS backup folder and make sure the text are there. You can even set it up to backup automatically how ever often you like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones