SMS character limit queston.Support

Last Updated:

1. ubercajun

ubercajun Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed that the default messaging app on the phone shows a maximum of 150 characters for sms and if you exceed that limit, it auto-converts it to MMS.

I'm attempting to use handcent which has the normal 160 character limit and does the 160 split. Unfortunately the SMS with 150+ characters never gets sent.

Is anyone else having this issue and if so, is there some sort of fix?

Advertisement
  2. UnSmartphone

UnSmartphone Well-Known Member

well in my handcent "sent message settings" i have it set not to split.... i have sent 200+ character text with success.. im guessing crickets server just handles it... oh yea and the sent text was recieved as a whole message..

3. UnSmartphone

UnSmartphone Well-Known Member

well now seems sometimes it doesnt work.. so i have set it to simple split & counter now.. wondering why it worked a few times..

4. Lennatron

Lennatron Well-Known Member

I can send a text as long as i want. It seems as though when it hits 160 Characters it just says Converting to MultiMedia Message eve though there aren't any pictures or anything in it. Then I can just keep typing.

5. spyder

spyder Well-Known Member

Same here as Lennatron - Is the person your sending to have MMS support? or do THEY need you to split the message. I'm not using it now, but I used Handcent for a while and there was just a simple setting for it not to split.

Only thing then, is IF you receiver dosn't have full MMS support, they won't get it properly.
    Try sending to yourself 1st and see what happens as a test, at least that's what I did, after turning off the split option....
    Good Luck....J