sms from computer to cell phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. mywhip

mywhip Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have searched for a bit but cant find anything helpful. I signed up to get a invitation to google voice, but still haven't recieved an invitation. So im trying other options. Any good programs out there to send texts from your pc to cell phones? I want to be able to hook my cell phone up to my computer to send them, so it doesn;t cost anything.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but you could use their SMS email address.
    Full-10-digits@vtext.com for example (Verizon). Send that from the computer and their reply will go to your PC.

3. mywhip

Well i know i can do that, i just figured there would be some sort of application out there. Something i can put on my desktop.

4. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

Are you a Gmail user usually? Even if you aren't... you are now that you have an Android phone :)

Open up Gmail on your computer, then go to settings --> labs. Turn on "Text Messaging (SMS) in Chat" and hit save, which should restart Gmail. Then add yourself as a contact in Gmail and list your cell phone number. Using the chat sidebar input, you should be able to then start typing your own name in there and select "send SMS". I've used this for years (okay, for over a year at least) to send myself links, small shopping lists, addresses and other notes... very useful! Of course that also means that I set it up a while ago, so I could be off on all the setup steps to get it working... but if you really can't figure it out post back and I'll see what I can do to help you further.

5. maxdamage2122

maxdamage2122 Member

6. agent0014

I think I may have mis-read your original post... but that being said Gmail supports the ability to SMS others from its chat client as well. It will show up as coming from a randomly assigned (but static) number... so that'd be the only downside. Your recipients will be able to text you back at that number, it'll show up in your google chat window.

I used it to text back and forth to my mom when she was out of commission and lonely with a broken ankle for six weeks. She definitely learned to text almost immediately when she found out she could pester me at work through there lol.

7. mywhip

I can download the second one fine..but the first one has to search for something?
    Also, when i try to connect it does nothing.

Agent - Thanks, i love this! I will use it till i can find something better, if thats possible. Do you know if it charges the person im sending it to anything?

8. agent0014

Standard text messaging rates apply. If your recipient gets charged for receiving texts from other cell phones, this would be no different. I can't imagine anything being able to circumvent that though since no matter what the source--cell phone, software, etc.--ultimately the text is coming through the recipient carrier's SMS servers and I'm sure that's when the carrier counts it for billing. The only thing I could see is if some carriers don't charge for texts from within the network... but none make that exception that I'm aware of.

I'm glad you like it... definitely one of my favorite google things ever, personally.

9. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

It does take awhile for Google to respond, but if you shoot me a private message with your email, I have one more invitation I can send to you and get you going.

10. agent0014

where do you see invites to pass along on Google Voice? I don't see anywhere where I can invite anyone. Maybe I don't have any to send? I've had it for a while, weird.

11. bassmanb

bassmanb New Member

12. rashmi83

rashmi83 New Member

Why don't you try SimplifyingSMS? I downloaded the software from android market place. Just search the keyword SimplifyingSMS and you will get both the free and paid versions of the app.
    This software allows you to compose any number of sms from computer. Once done, you can send all the messages on click of a button from your mobile.
    Don't forget to leave your feedback on the app at the android market place once you use it :)