SMS go to wrong contacts??!!! (known issue)Support

Last Updated:

1. Rainbow Snake

Rainbow Snake Active Member This Topic's Starter

This is an alarming bug, and for all I know it may affect me regularly.

I use the standard HTC "Messages" sms app, and I'm on Froyo (but think that's irrelevant)

Just today I was exchanging smses with person A, then decided to send one to person B. Person A then asked why I'd sent them a confusing sms. It was the one for Person B !!!

Here's the kicker ... the sms that went to the wrong place, still appears in the correct person's message thread. ie it appears in the list of person B's messages, instead of person A who actually received it.

When I select the details of the sms, it shows the number of the person it actually went to, and no that number's not on the contact details of both people.

This is pretty crappy. Some of the smses I send are quite personal, some are quite formal. I can't have them going to the wrong people, it might cause severe issues.

Although I can't find anything about this on the HTC Desire forum, there are posts about on other Android forums going back to earlier in the year!!

This is a sneaky issue. How do *you* know all your messages have gone to the right people? You only find out if people tell you.

Some other forums:

Advertisement
  2. shawn122

shawn122 Guest

is there any follow up to this problem?
    if it still exists...I am better off sticking to a blackberry :(

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Not many people have this problem.

4. Darkstar2010

Darkstar2010 Well-Known Member

Do you know if it's a problem with Android or the Desire?

5. shawn122

shawn122 Guest

from my understanding its a problem specific to Android...not a specific phone manufacturer

6. Darkstar2010

Darkstar2010 Well-Known Member

If you use a text messaging app like Handcent will it avoid this problem?

7. niallb

niallb New Member

I've just bought a Galaxy S in france and am having this problem regularly:mad:

8. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

Hey,

I have started getting this problem, it is happening regularly.

Basically, some texts go to the wrong person, and some never send. This morning I was sent a new phone because of the problem, and the first time I try to reply to a text, it asks me to enter a recipient, even though I was replying to a text i'd receieved and the recipient name was at the top.

This is a serious bug to me, and one i'm no where near resolving. I never had this problem on my X10, but my X10 was rubbish lol.

Just adding my name to this thread as i'm at my wits end, looks like this is happening on Samsung Galaxy S too, so maybe its an android 2.1/2.2 problem? :(

Anyway, looks like I may have to switch back to dumb phones, as this is a deal breaker for me.

Cheers,

Biff.

P.s. I have read hundreds of forum posts from users with this problem, and I would hazard a guess that lots of people's texts are either not getting through or going to the wrong person without them realising, as not everyone texts you back to tell you.

9. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

It's only happened once to me on my Desire.

10. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

This is a new one...to the best of my knowledge I've never had this happen and I send texts everyday.

11. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member

+1 to this. I've not had the issue occurring since using Handscent :cool:

12. spile

spile Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem - it was down to HTC Sync corrupting phone numbers - I now use MyPhoneExplorer and the problem has gone away.