• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS keyboard capitalisation behaviour

quintus

Lurker
Nov 17, 2009
Hello. Just a quick question. When typing text into a box in most programs the phone defaults to capitalising the first letter of a new sentence after a full stop, question mark or exclamation mark and a space are typed in. However when writing SMS messages in the default app the behaviour for full stops (and only full stops) seems to have changed at some point so that a full stop followed by a space does not trigger the auto-capitalisation. Is there a way to turn this back on? Question marks and so on all behave as they should.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Can't say I see the smae behaviour. In fact mine doesn't auto cap unless I hit space. If I were for example, to type:

Hello.how are you

It wouldn't capitalise the H in how but if I type

Hello. How are you

it does. Are you using the default keyboard / sms app?

EDIT: Actually I have just discovered a slightly diffferant problem. When I place a full stop, it automatically places a space afterward but doesn't capitalise the letters until I press space, so what I am doing is causing a double space to appear.

Upvote 0
Hi,
thanks for the reply!

I'm using the default keyboard and SMS app yes.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Sorry you're quite right: it does put a space in automatically after the full stop, but doesn't capitalise. I suppose therefore my question should really be: how do I stop it putting in a space by default after the full stop? Thanks for helping to clarify.

Upvote 0
to stop an automatic space happening after a full stop (or any puctuation), use the symbols via the '1' key (if you're using the keypad layout). basically, don't use the keys like the exclamation mark, comma, full stop, question mark, etc.
then you'll have to put in your own space.
after the space, your next letter will be capitalised.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean. This produces the same result as typing a full stop, then one space and it captalises the next letter, it doesn't add any extra characters

Ok sorry I've read the post wrong but doing what quantumrand says puts 2 spaces after the fullstop and before the following capital letter on my phone

It's been driving nuts hence I presumed that's what he wrote

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Upvote 0
Hmm... now I have this issue as well. I noticed it after trying to install and then uninstall ChompSMS and HandcentSMS...

So before that when I was typing and make a full stop it automatically did a space after full stop and capitalise next letter. But now it does the same without capitalising...

Before: "Hello.[<pressing full stop here] Can you..."
Now: "Hello.[<pressing full stop here] can you..."

However it's still working with "double spacing"...

Does anyone found a solution?!

Upvote 0
It seem HTC employed 2 differernt groups of ppl, with very different standards when it came to English typing standards.

I found this article as a reason behind it. "The reasoning behind this is that a double-space was used in the middle years of the last century for typewriter use, as the quality and readability of the result was often poor. The same also applied to much printed matter, of the newspaper type. In addition, the fonts used were less readable than those used today; so that a double space was often a useful convention. As a result, many were taught this method when typing."

I think HTC should come into the 21st Centry and ditch double spacing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones