• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS messages not in order

Nightryder4

Lurker
Feb 20, 2011
Topic: messages from the future!

I just upgraded to the 3vo from an optimus m, so naturally this is my first go with sprint. My messages are being sent showing the proper time however the replies I get show a few hours ahead of time. Annoying because it makes the conversation all out of order. any help would be appreciated, and is this likely a problem with my phone or sprint?

I suspect it's a new wrinkle on an old problem.

SMS messages have two timestamps. One of them is never right because it's not in your timezone. In the past, we've seen this manifest as messages out of order - and it's been a problem with the stock Android messaging app for some time.

Try Handcent or Go SMS - both of those are known to handle timestamps correctly.

Upvote 0
I suspect it's a new wrinkle on an old problem.

SMS messages have two timestamps. One of them is never right because it's not in your timezone. In the past, we've seen this manifest as messages out of order - and it's been a problem with the stock Android messaging app for some time...

Interesting to find out this has been an Android issue for quite awhile now, considering text messaging is a CORE app/feature that I'd guess close to 90% of all cell phone users use today. Surprising that they can't (or should I say refuse) to fix this? I can't imagine it would be difficult to fix, but for some reason Google doesn't seem to want to address it apparently. My suspicion is they must feel there isn't an issue and as such, nothing for them to fix.

Sort of like issues they had with their bluetooth stack early on in the Android lifecycle, it took them several iterations to finally get that fixed and get it right, however is something they should have been able to address much earlier.

Upvote 0
Interesting to find out this has been an Android issue for quite awhile now, considering text messaging is a CORE app/feature that I'd guess close to 90% of all cell phone users use today. Surprising that they can't (or should I say refuse) to fix this? I can't imagine it would be difficult to fix, but for some reason Google doesn't seem to want to address it apparently. My suspicion is they must feel there isn't an issue and as such, nothing for them to fix.

Sort of like issues they had with their bluetooth stack early on in the Android lifecycle, it took them several iterations to finally get that fixed and get it right, however is something they should have been able to address much earlier.

Can't fix? Won't fix? Coulda, shoulda, woulda, you know? ;)

It's a known issue but for whatever reason, the fix has been slow in coming for the stock app.

They fix one thing, they break another, sometimes. How about all the people having duplicate sms sent on reboot? (Handcent even has an option to turn that off.)

Stuff happens. Use a replacement until they fix it, all I can suggest.

Upvote 0
When I am having an active text chat the time I send the text out is correct, But the time that comes back from the person I am texting comes back with a 4 or 5 hr time difference....Is any body else having the same problem, I called Sprint & the rep took me thru a few steps & it seemed to work for a few texts messages right after, But it went back to doing it again.

Upvote 0
This happened on the EVO 4G too. If you are roaming this text message mumbo jumbo thing will happen. And in my opinion, the network times are probably off. The GSM network from AT&T on the east coast does not have the exact same time down to the second as the CDMA Sprint Network located on the west coast. I doubt Sprint/Verizon have the same times down to the second for the same type of networks. I kind of noticed this happens a lot with people on AT&Ts network who send me text messages.

Upvote 0
Can I get a quick run down of how to disable my stock text msg?

I try not to toy with too many thing on my phones anymore, unless I know exactly what I am doing....When I had my Treo 750, I deleted something I thought I didn't need....then for a long time I was never able to recieve phone calls when I was out of state....I was never sure of that was a result of whatever I deleted...But it took me being out of town & making a call to a Sprint rep while out of town from another phone to get that fixed.

Upvote 0
My wife is out in CA visiting her folks. I noticed that when she sends me a text, her message displays the time in CA and not the time here in NC on my phone. Not a huge deal, but today she sent me a longer message that was sent over two different text windows. The first one displayed the time in CA like normal, but the one that came in a minute later displayed a time that was 8 hours ahead of CA time and 5 hours ahead of NC time. So now the text windows are all out of order. Is it so hard to have the software use the time of the receiving phone so things don't get all mixed up like this. I didn't find anything in the manual or online that would explain why the one message displayed such a strange time. Thanks for all the help, I have learned a lot from folks on this forum.

Upvote 0
Don't sweat the small stuff, we don't. :) ;)

Our search tool sux anyways, it really does, that's why we have a no-hassle policy on searching.

I am disturbed by these later reports of Handcent not cutting it, tho. My mileage really varies on that one, so I guess I'm just suggesting to try it, report back.

PS - trick I learned from marctronixx: use Google, but put androidforums.com in front of your search terms. Honestly, that's how I found this thread myself! :D

Upvote 0
I have been having this same problem since day 1 with my Evo 3D. It only happens when roaming. Unfortunately, this phone totally sucks at hanging onto a signal, so it is roaming quite often. At least my phone is roaming quite often, yours might not be.

But yeah, I have 4 Evo 3Ds on my account and all 4 of them have had this same issue since day 1. Hopefully they fix this in an update. Or unlock the dang bootloader so the community can fix it for them.

EDIT:
By the way, this happens even when I am texting someone who is in the same time zone, or even the same building as me. It has nothing to do with the time they sent it in their time zone. It's something to do with roaming, as it only happens when my Evo 3D (or the receiver's Evo 3D if it isn't me) is roaming.

Upvote 0
I have been having this same problem since day 1 with my Evo 3D. It only happens when roaming. Unfortunately, this phone totally sucks at hanging onto a signal, so it is roaming quite often. At least my phone is roaming quite often, yours might not be.

But yeah, I have 4 Evo 3Ds on my account and all 4 of them have had this same issue since day 1. Hopefully they fix this in an update. Or unlock the dang bootloader so the community can fix it for them.

EDIT:
By the way, this happens even when I am texting someone who is in the same time zone, or even the same building as me. It has nothing to do with the time they sent it in their time zone. It's something to do with roaming, as it only happens when my Evo 3D (or the receiver's Evo 3D if it isn't me) is roaming.

Happened to me multiple times while texting with another Sprint user in the same state; as stated this happens if you're roaming.

Upvote 0
It happens to me countless times every day. It really is annoying. It throws off the whole text message thread.

The notification up at the top shows the most recent message. So when I get a message that is time stamped 4 hours later than what the current time is, that message is always at the bottom of the text message thread, and the notification at the top only shows that same message every time I get a new message (unless I delete it).

It's very frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones