SMS/MMS Data Loss!

Last Updated:

1. skiaec04

skiaec04 New Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 29, 2009

This is my first post here, but I've had a droid from day one and I've read a lot of these threads. This morning, when I opened Handcent SMS on my phone, it came up with a white screen that I had assumed was just a bug, but after sending a text message,I realized that all of my previous messages had been lost or deleted for some reason. Absolutely nothing happened between last night and this morning that would have led me to expect such a result, and as you can imagine I'm pretty upset about the data loss. If you have any suggestions for steps to take, I would sincerely appreciate them. My phone is not rooted or anything of the sort if that changes anything. Also, I've been using SMS backup to back up to my gmail, but there are some longer texts that Handcent converts to MMS that were not backed up.

Thanks for your advice and back up your messages!

2. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Not familiar with this app but have you tried writing to the developer? They're usually pretty responsive.

Also have you tried going through the card to see if there's any data available?

Best of luck.
  3. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009

1) I did read something along those lines, I believe in the comments section for Handcent SMS in the Market. So, it ain't you.

2) In addition to MyBackUp Pro, which auto-backs up what you tell it to, in a manner allowing easy restore, I now also have G-Backup. Details posted in a thread today in the Apps forum here. For now: elegantly backs up SMS, MMS, call log, pics and videos to gmail. Automatic or manual, your choice.

3) I've read enough oddities, here and elsewhere, about inexplicable data loss (e.g., text messages, the SD card's contents) to take appropriate precautions. (Yes, I also play drag and drop, SD card to laptop, monthly.)