SMS notification sound questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. dougrb

dougrb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 26, 2010
    I've noticed that when the EVO's screen is turned off, and you get an SMS, the notification sound works just fine. However, unless you've assigned it so that you get a visual notification up in the taskbar, you won't hear the notification if the screen is on.

I find this incredibly redundant, considering two things:

1. I've got an shortcut icon on the home screen for "messages"

2. Why do I need a notification status on the taskbar if I'm using the shortcut ?

I guess I just don't understand how those things aren't integrated more tightly, in order to be able to play the notification sound while you're futzing around and not have to see the notification in the taskbar since it's already also displayed on the shortcut icon, denoted with a number.

There are times when I'm doing something and would only hear the notification, not seeing the visual indication up in the taskbar at all.

Yes, there are things like Handcent and such, but why should anyone have to use such things unless they simply like variety or extra features? I wouldn't consider the aforementioned issue to be a bug, maybe just an oversight though. I just would rather not bog my phone down with redundant third party apps, when the phone's OS should be perfectly capable of such things.

Any opinions or thoughts on this?

2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Unfortunately they can't please everyone out of the box. For every one that complains for lack of a feature three would complain about it if it were there. Actually more than a few have complained about that feature in handcent.

As for the need for external apps...I bought the phone for this and open source.

Htc put out a great basic phone out of the box, that has the benefit of customization etc via the market.

I love it

You want to make it better? dload the tools to do so. (you will love Handcent anyway so just do it already)