• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS Notifications - SG2 worst EVER phone

Wow I came from the Desire as well and will not even put it in the same league as the S2. Tell you the truth even with my Desire I was still missing text messages. For me I have my phone near me most of the day. The Galaxy S2 is not the worst phone at all even with out the LED light lol like come on. I use Handcent and have not had that problem at all even with the stock sms I have not had that and I have not changed anything so I would look into your settings for sure.

Upvote 0
I am from Blackberry 9000, and I interestingly agree that the lack of LED is not convenient. Actually, I am not that happy with the stock SMS. It is just not 'sophisticated' enough.

For example, when I send you a piece of text sms to two friends, say Michael and Bob. And it was a success.

However if I take a view of the chat history with Michael, that message will not appear in it.

Also, if I change a name of certain contact, it will not update in the sms history.

Really hope there will be some change in the future.

Upvote 0
I'm the one who started this thread - oh man did I open a can of worms. Sorry for all that...
my update is that I finally sold the S G S2. I gotta tell ya, that not having a notification light is that important. The GS2 has the greatest screen, but, couldn't handle all the little things that drove me crazy.
I have been waiting for a new HTC w/ NFC and LTE connection. Unfortunately the new Nexus has this ...but, they dropped back to a 5MP camera and no SD card (for what I've heard). How do Engineers (and I'm an Engineer for a major international company) design phones that go backwards in specifications like that? Both Samsung and HTC drop the ball like this...
cheers... good luck
Leightos

Please read this: The Megapixel Myth

Unless you're printing large posters, megapixels really aren't important. The camera may actually be worse, I haven't looked into it, but don't go by megapixels alone. That's marketing cheat tactics :p

The lack of a MicroSD card slot is pretty risky though.

Upvote 0
Have to say, lack of LED light is annoying, but I am not surprised that reviews or people might run it down for it's lack. I mean, people run down phones with no front facing cameras, even though they are pretty much still a niche thing.

As for megapixel myth, I don't buy all that nonsense. They should release a report called the "Speed of your car myth" and say that because you can only do 70mph on the motorway, that you don't need cars that do

Upvote 0
Have to say, lack of LED light is annoying, but I am not surprised that reviews or people might run it down for it's lack. I mean, people run down phones with no front facing cameras, even though they are pretty much still a niche thing.

As for megapixel myth, I don't buy all that nonsense. They should release a report called the "Speed of your car myth" and say that because you can only do 70mph on the motorway, that you don't need cars that do

Upvote 0
ok anyone know how to make handcent work well with noled? it seems like the pop up message stays on the screen with the little colored LED's dancing in behind it. Usually handcent message go away after 8 seconds or so. now they are permanently there?

I still want the pop up message but say im in the shower or something i want the pop up to dissapear like normal and leave the LEDs flashing about

thanks

Upvote 0
Processor speeds are used in a similar way. A 3GHz processor with a much newer and more advanced architecture will actually be faster and be able to get more done than a 3.4GHz with an ancient architecture, despite having a lower clock speed.

It's all trickery. :p

I've found the easiest way to explain this is to use a car analogy. Let's take two identical cars. One of them is running at 4k RPMs, but in first gear. The other is running at 2k RPMs, but is in 4th gear. Which car is truly running faster?

CPUs are the same, and so far, IMO, the best way to accurately measure a mobile CPU's potential performance is via DMIPS. Cortex A8 runs at 2 DMPs/clock cycle, while Scorpion runs at 2.1. Cortex A9 runs at 2.5, while Krait runs at 3.3 and Cortex A15 runs at 3.5 (estimated). So, if all CPUs are running single core at 1ghz, an A15 will be nearly twice as fast an an A8.

Upvote 0
ok anyone know how to make handcent work well with noled? it seems like the pop up message stays on the screen with the little colored LED's dancing in behind it. Usually handcent message go away after 8 seconds or so. now they are permanently there?

I still want the pop up message but say im in the shower or something i want the pop up to dissapear like normal and leave the LEDs flashing about

thanks
I have the opposite problem to this with GoSMS Pro.. the NoLED indicators show up on screen perfectly but the popup window I used to get with GoSMS Pro now no longer pops up.. I have to go into GoSMS to view the new text. Not a deal breaker but a bit frustrating. It's definitely a NoLED issue as when I disable it the popup comes back when the next text arrives.

Going back to the initial OP post I understand the initial annoyance at finding no LED indicator but with the options out there being even better don't see why it is still a problem.

Upvote 0

thanks

hi

did you get noled working with handcent, i have installed both but now the Noled does not seem to work.

Upvote 0
Well Just have to get my two cents in, ;0) I know i'll be stoned to death if I say this. Doesn't this seem to much like an Apple Troll? Really even if you have a notifcation light how often do you stare at your phone? I mean to be quite honest I've had tons of phones in the past from the silly iphone, blackberry, to the Androids which by the way I feel are more capable than the rest. The notification LED yeah it's great but really most of the time I had to look at the phone to see if they are even on. And why would you be so concerned if the light is blinking or not I'm sure it goes on with a notification sound. I have the Droid Razr and this phone has one but I seldom notice the light blinking anyways. If your so reliant on the notification light going on all the time then you really have not much to do? This feature shouldn't be a deal breaker for most people and that's why I dropped the Razr for the SG2, then I heard my carrier is now carrying the Nexus. So now I'm faced with getting the Nexus since I just got the SG2, but my dilemna isn't about the phone but the tons of negatives that I'm seeing about the Nexus. I might just stay with the SG2 lte with nfc.

Upvote 0
My audio notification goes off once. I'd be annoyed if it kept going off, sounds like some people have unfortunate software.

I had a Samsung Slide and loved the reminder that I had a text message - worked nicely if I were sleeping and one of my kids would text.

I am finding (or I can't find) the setting on the Galaxy S II where I have that option. I know it bothers others.. but, if there's a way, can someone help me out?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I use handcent and have no issues. I also came from a HTC device so I was used to the notification light. I have set my handcent up to bleep at 3 set intervals after the original text came in, also you can add different tones to different contacts so you know who sent you the message without opening the lock screen (obviously this won't help with non contacts but you can set single tone for that) this is handy if someone is sending endless jokes all the time. I would prefer to have the notification light but its not a deal breaker considering the positives of this great phone.
edit.... I also knew about this 'before' I bought it :)

Upvote 0
For those that want LED notification just download NoLED and configure it to flash the soft keys when you receive a text, or a miss call, or email....

I set it up so nothing appears on the display of my SGS2 and only the Menu and Back soft keys flash. You can even set the flash times if you wish.

Just like that BLN mod for rooted phones, without having to root...

;)

Upvote 0
For those that want LED notification just download NoLED and configure it to flash the soft keys when you receive a text, or a miss call, or email....

I set it up so nothing appears on the display of my SGS2 and only the Menu and Back soft keys flash. You can even set the flash times if you wish.

Just like that BLN mod for rooted phones, without having to root...

;)
can u pls help me on how to set up like that, the one that only menu and back soft keys wll flash. ty.

Upvote 0
can u pls help me on how to set up like that, the one that only menu and back soft keys wll flash. ty.

Ok.

First go into Settings > Display > Touch key light duration, and set this to always on.

Download and install NoLED.

Go into NoLED settings and put a check on Switch NoLED on.

Go to Toggle Notifications and put a check in the notifications you want. I dont bother with the Charge indicator and I disable Display time.

Next, go to Icons. Set Themes to Default(Small), not important but hey, and remove all the check marks here.

This is one of the main things to do... Go to Colors and set all of them to Black. See where we're going with this......

This is the next important setting.... Go to Battery saving features > Blink and enable it. Here you'll be able to set the On Time/Off time and you obviously to leave White background unchecked.

Go back a step to Battery saving features and check Keep screen off.

All the other features, like audio reminders and stuff is up to the user. But follow the above and you will have Soft Key notifications. Basically NoLED flashes the soft keys with the display icons and all your doing is displaying the icons in black, so you don't see them and only see the Soft Keys.

Enjoy :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones