SMS on Android - FAQs/ guides?

Last Updated:

1. jsp_1983

jsp_1983 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

I've had just over 24 hours experience of Android, being the almost-proud owner of the HTC Hero on Three (UK).

There's a lot to take in and I'm stumped by quite a few things, but something I want to know a bit more about is SMS on Android.

Last night, there was a pop-up notification telling me that my SIM was full and that I had to delete some messages. This is something that I haven't had to do for quite some time now!

I couldn't see anything obvious in the messaging settings about storage locations for SMS, nor could I find anything on the HTC site or by searching for related material.

How can I get Android to store messages on the phone, rather than on the SIM?

Can anybody recommend an FAQ or guide for SMS on Android?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Firstly, how did you manage to fill up your sms inbox within 24 hours?! How many messages were there? Hopefully someone will correct me if i'm wrong, But i'm sure it doesn't save sms to the sim card. Did you transfer this sim over from a previous phone with all your old sms on?

You might benefit from checking out my guide linked below too :p

3. jsp_1983

Well, that's the thing - all of the messages that were displaying were old ones that had been stored on the SIM.

When a text arrived on my Hero, the handset gave me the notification about being full, so I deleted one of the messages.

I've just changed over from an N95 8Gb and before that I had a 6280 - both of which stored messages on the phone's memory - so I thought it was a bit strange to see that the Hero wasn't storing messages on its memory.

I'll have a look at your guide, thanks :)

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Hmm, to be honest only guessing here but maybe the Hero cannot handle messages stored on the Sim, or it has a lower limit than your Nokia had and so just pops up the full message everytime you get a new sms.

I guess you could try to move the sms to the phone memory instead of having them on the sim card. But I wouldn't know if there was an app capable of doing this unfortunately.

5. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Try opening the Messages app and go to Settings>Manage SIM card messages. Personally, my Hero has none stored on the SIM, but since yours does, you may have some additional options.

6. jsp_1983

I've tried the Messages settings, but the only thing I could find there is the option to copy existing messages from the SIM on the phone. There isn't anywhere in the settings to tell the application where to store messages.

I'm not particularly popular at the moment, so I might have to wait a while before I can see if the 'messages full' notification pops up again#!