sms over bluetooth

Last Updated:

1. OutlawFirebird

OutlawFirebird Well-Known Member

Is there an app I can get? cause I dont think the droid can do this. transfer sms with bluetooth.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Ummm, SMS over bluetooth - never heard of it.
  3. OutlawFirebird

Did you not read the whole thing? Transfer a message through bluetooth to another device that has bluetooth. Some phones can and some cant.
  4. johnlgalt

Did you read my reply - never heard of it - as in the DROID doesn't do it as far as I know.
  5. OutlawFirebird

why you did not say that to begin with. thats what I wanted to know if the droid can do it. or if there is an app that can.
  6. johnlgalt

You initial post was extremely ambiguous, and then you want to call me out on the same thing?

Please. I responded in kind. Read your post one more time and see where you're missing a whole pile of info.

Please don't get a corncob up your keister with me - pay closer attention to what you did first.
  7. OutlawFirebird

whatever, i posted with a question, simple. is there a way to transfer sms over bluetooth. I dont think I can be any clearer. what else do you need to know? dont respond if you dont got any info of help.
  8. johnlgalt

I'm done with you. If you can't see the ambiguity of your own post but can in mine, then obviously many things, like irony, are lost on you.

And again, Haven't seen an app that can do SMS over bluetooth.

No is also an answer, in case you didn't know.
  9. OutlawFirebird

sounds like you doing the same, you cant see the ambiguity in your post. and now your judging me.
  10. johnlgalt

You must have missed the part of "I responded in kind."

Basically, your post was pretty ambiguous, so I purposefully responded the same way - but then you decided to jump all over me without realizing your own mistake.

No worries - I am done with you. Good luck finding that app if it exists.
  11. OutlawFirebird

ok then, If it means anything im sorry, It sounded like you only read the title. My mistake. I apologise for it. I did not mean to post ambiguously. I just wanted to find an answer. I did not intend to get all of your case. Or get you worked up.

again im sorry.

anway yeah I dont think the droid can do it, and I dont think there is an app either.
  12. johnlgalt

TBH, I have searched far and wide for SMS apps to find the perfect combination of using my phone with variety and whatnot, and I have not heard of an SMS app that does it over BT.

Also, with the limited range of BT, I can see why there is not a lot of interest in it - however, most of the Android developers are very open to suggestions. You might try contacting some of them to see if they have that planned or have thought about it.

2 of the most popular SMS alternate apps are Handcent and ChompSMS, but in searching the new AndroidApplications.com I see lots of SMS2Web, Twitter and Computer apps, so one of those developers may also be able to help.
  13. Rtoodeetwo

Rtoodeetwo Member

I'm not sure if this is what are you looking for but you can try it. Go to the market and search for Motospeak by Motorola. When you enable your Bluetooth headset it can read to you the name and the content of a text message every time you get a new text. It even have and auto reply function. The basic version is free. But if you want advanced features you need to buy the pro version.
  14. OutlawFirebird

Thanks ill look at it. But I dont think thats what im looking for. I want to be able to transfer a text message to another device as soon as I get it. Ill continue to search for something every now and then. maybe 2.2 will have it. I dought it, but I can always hope.
  15. johnlgalt

Running 2.2 and have not seen an option to do it in there.

I think I am getting confused again - can you describe the exact scenario that you want to use SMS over BT for? To transfer (like forward) to a friend without having to use your SMS on your network, or to save it, say on a BT enabled computer?
  16. OutlawFirebird

Ok. It has to do with my new head unit in my car. Its a kenwood. It has a wide variety of features on it. One is the bluetooth. It can download and display sms on the screen. Dont think I would ever really use it when im driving. But I would like to see it work.
  17. johnlgalt

OK, that is pretty much what I had envisioned.

With that info there, you might be able to get a developer more interested in enabling such a feature in their app. Someone out there has to be receptive....

Of course, that also means the phone itself has to support it - I know that the BT capabilities are crippled from the full range of features that are written into the standard BT protocol, but I am not sure if SMS transmittal is specifically blocked or not.
  18. OutlawFirebird

I would think the droid would be able to do it if was an option to. It had no problems transfering my phonebook(contacts), to the headunit in a matter of seconds.
  19. johnlgalt

Hmmm. And I use it to transfer audio from Pandora to my T505 via bluetooth, which then transfers it to my headunit via FM.

It just might have the ability after all. I thought there was a crippling of the push function in the BT, but that may be for files as opposed to data....
  20. OutlawFirebird

Im not sure why It cant do it on its own. I have seen really crapy phones that could do it. Not sure why they did not include the feature to begin with.
  21. johnlgalt

BT adoption in stereos / head units is fairly recent, if memory serves me - BT in phones is pretty old.

I think the idea was that it was going to be done but since there was nowhere to send them too, manufacturers wrote it off the list of things to have in the phone.

Which is why Android is great - with software, it can still be added back in.
  22. OutlawFirebird

yeah, true. I posted my idea in the app section of the forums maybee someone will take interest in it.
    johnlgalt likes this.
  23. djn8dogg

djn8dogg New Member

I am also interested in this. Not sure if my factory head unit with BT in my 013 Elantra will do it though. It would be awesome if it could read out the text message, then type out a text message.