• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"SMS Popup" - contact photo not appearing when text arrives?

fatboygrim

Lurker
Oct 28, 2009
Hi all - hope this is the right place to ask this ;)

I just installed the "SMS Popup" application on my (UK) T-Mobile HTC Hero (which has the latest UK T-Mobile official Android ROM installed - Oct 2009), and the app works great, but doesn't display the senders contact photo when an SMS popup arrives? Most demos of the app I've seen running seem to show the users contact photo popping up when a text arrives...

Anyone else had this problem, or am I missing an obvious setting etc?

Thanks for any help :)

Hey!

I'm the dev of sms popup - would you or someone else with a Hero be able to install this .apk, run it, press menu, select a contact with a photo and then tell me the output that prints (sorry there isn't any way to capture it so you will have to manually re-write it or take a screenshot/photo).

http://android-smspopup.googlecode.com/files/AndroidPhotoTest.apk

I don't have access to a Hero right now so it's really hard to work out what's going wrong :)

Adam

Upvote 0
Great, thanks. I just put out a new version with this fix in Android Market :)

Adam
awesome.jpg

Upvote 0
I believe the update is live, I see the new version (1.0.1) in the marketplace.

When the notification popups and I click close, my message app still says I have an unread message - when you run the app and look at the messages in thread view, nothing is unread and the only way to make the notification go away is to delete the entire conversation.

Is this happening to anyone else also?

Upvote 0
Has this update gone live yet? I'm still not getting facebook pics popup?

It still won't display FB photos if you're on a Hero (or any phone with HTC's custom Rosie interface). As Android 2.0 supports this natively I probably won't be adding support for this in Cupcake/Donut, as a workaround you can get a FB photo sync'ing app that will store photos back into your regular Gmail contacts, this one works for me:
SyncMyPix v0.9 Application for Android | Social

When the notification popups and I click close, my message app still says I have an unread message - when you run the app and look at the messages in thread view, nothing is unread and the only way to make the notification go away is to delete the entire conversation.

Is this happening to anyone else also?

Do you mean the icon on the home screen still has the little badge? Unfortunately this is a customization that HTC put in and there doesn't appear to be a way for 3rd party apps to control it or refresh it. No good workaround at this time :(

Upvote 0
i wanted to say, is there now way to get the popup to appear over the lock screen? this program goes and bypasses the lock screen and i think it'd be better if it laid on top of the lock screen if the phone is off. is there a reason it bypasses it?

There isn't a way to display things on top of the lock screen right now (perhaps in a future Android version or with a custom lock screen app like Flyscreen) - instead SMS Popup will unlock your screen to show the popup, but any action to leave the popup will lock the screen before the user can proceed.

Adam

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones