1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

"SMS Popup" - contact photo not appearing when text arrives?

Last Updated:

1. fatboygrim

fatboygrim Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all - hope this is the right place to ask this ;)

I just installed the "SMS Popup" application on my (UK) T-Mobile HTC Hero (which has the latest UK T-Mobile official Android ROM installed - Oct 2009), and the app works great, but doesn't display the senders contact photo when an SMS popup arrives? Most demos of the app I've seen running seem to show the users contact photo popping up when a text arrives...

Anyone else had this problem, or am I missing an obvious setting etc?

Thanks for any help :)

Advertisement
  2. fatboygrim

Just had an email from the SMS Popup developer about this - he said that this is a known issue with the HTC Hero, and is currently looking into fixing it :)

3. adamk

adamk Member

Hey!

I'm the dev of sms popup - would you or someone else with a Hero be able to install this .apk, run it, press menu, select a contact with a photo and then tell me the output that prints (sorry there isn't any way to capture it so you will have to manually re-write it or take a screenshot/photo).

http://android-smspopup.googlecode.com/files/AndroidPhotoTest.apk

I don't have access to a Hero right now so it's really hard to work out what's going wrong :)

Adam

4. adamk

adamk Member

5. fatboygrim

Hi Adam - just installed the version you posted above on my HTC Hero, and the contact photos are now appearing perfectly - bug seems to be fixed

Thanks for your help :)

6. adamk

adamk Member

Great, thanks. I just put out a new version with this fix in Android Market :)

Adam

7. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. brittas

brittas Well-Known Member

Has this update gone live yet? I'm still not getting facebook pics popup?

9. thatdude430

thatdude430 New Member

I believe the update is live, I see the new version (1.0.1) in the marketplace.

When the notification popups and I click close, my message app still says I have an unread message - when you run the app and look at the messages in thread view, nothing is unread and the only way to make the notification go away is to delete the entire conversation.

Is this happening to anyone else also?

10. adamk

adamk Member

It still won't display FB photos if you're on a Hero (or any phone with HTC's custom Rosie interface). As Android 2.0 supports this natively I probably won't be adding support for this in Cupcake/Donut, as a workaround you can get a FB photo sync'ing app that will store photos back into your regular Gmail contacts, this one works for me:
    SyncMyPix v0.9 Application for Android | Social

Do you mean the icon on the home screen still has the little badge? Unfortunately this is a customization that HTC put in and there doesn't appear to be a way for 3rd party apps to control it or refresh it. No good workaround at this time :(

11. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Member

i wanted to say, is there now way to get the popup to appear over the lock screen? this program goes and bypasses the lock screen and i think it'd be better if it laid on top of the lock screen if the phone is off. is there a reason it bypasses it?

12. adamk

adamk Member

There isn't a way to display things on top of the lock screen right now (perhaps in a future Android version or with a custom lock screen app like Flyscreen) - instead SMS Popup will unlock your screen to show the popup, but any action to leave the popup will lock the screen before the user can proceed.

Adam