1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

SMS Popup I've got a problem and you guys seem the most knowledgeableuregardin esucma

Last Updated:

1. Anon of Holland

Anon of Holland Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,
    I've got a problem, and you guys seem to be the most knowledgable so I hope you can help me.
    I used to use the SMS Popup app from the market. However, I recently switched to Handcent, which has a built-in popup system itself. So I used my uninstall app to get rid of SMS Popup...
    Big mistake. It has disappeared completely from every 'installed apps' list, but it's STILL WORKING. I.e. I get 2 popups every time I get a text message.

I have tried reinstalling it (which did work) and uninstalling it, but all it uninstalls is the 'second' one because for all intents and purposes the 'first' one just doesn't exist.
    Except that it's still giving me popups..
    Do any of you have an idea about how I could maybe manually delete this other than a factory reset?
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

um.

3. Anon of Holland

Uhm, yeah, the phone was being stupid. I might repost if the title doesn't fix itself.

4. Anon of Holland

Fffffff.
    Could a mod delete this thread so I can repost it with a coherent title? Can't find a delete button and this subject is just ******ed.

5. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Maybe try to go into SMS pop up and uncheck the 'Enable SMS Pop Up option? I did that and it worked. Now I only have pop ups from Handcent and not SMS Pop Up.

6. Anon of Holland

That would work if I could actually acces the options, but as I said, unfortunately it has completely disappeared apart from the actual popups themselves. And when reinstalled, you can change the options on the 'second install' but that had no effect on the first install.

7. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

You have to go into your message center (the stock one), and under options disable all popups and notifications.

8. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Are you sure one of those pop ups is from SMS pop up and not the stock messenger app?

I would try to disable to HAndcent popup and see if that other pop up still comes through.

9. Anon of Holland

Let me try to be more specific: I'm pretty much certain the popups are the SMSPopup ones, since the only reason I got SMSPopup was because my phone didn't come with stock popups implemented (it's a Samsung phone if that matters). When the Handcent popups are enabled, I get two popups whenever someone texts me, when I disable Handcent, just the one (the smspopup one).
    However, you've kind of got me doubting myself..but I honestly can't find any popup settings under my options menu (it's in dutch of course, but there's nothing related either).

10. cableguynoe

MAybe this is not the answer you want... but what about keeping hancent popups disabled and living with SMSpopup?

Only other option i can think of is re install smspopup and then try to disable it.
    I know you tried to install and then uninstall again. But not sure if you tried installing and disabling.

11. Anon of Holland

I did try the reinstalling and disabling thing, but unfortunately that didn't work either =[
    I am actually living with the SMSPopup right now with disabled Handcent, but it's kinda buggy, the popup won't always work and the notification won't automatically remove itself from the status bar.
    ...and as I was typing that I realised that maybe cableguy was right..this does kinda sound like for some freak reason stock popups are enabled! I'll search around to see how the hell I could get rid of them if that is the case.

12. Cudda

Cudda Well-Known Member

Try installing Astro, and look around your memory card to see if any left over files from SMS popup are still there. Delete them and see if that fixes it.

13. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

Sledgehammer/Nut Solution

Backup/sync Contacts Calander etc.

Home Screen
    Menu
    Settings
    Privacy
    Factory Data Reset.

Reboots..

Home Screen
    Menu
    Accounts & Sync
    Add Account

and set up your GMAIL details etc.

Sync data.
    This gets back all your contacts, calanders etc.
    Go into Market place, and go to Downloads. This should have a list of all the apps you downloaded.
    Downloads all the apps you want to replace.
    DO NOT EXIT Downloads until you have all the apps you want to re-install.

Now setup shortcuts, and widgets etc as your prefer.
    You can now fix Handcent and Messenger settings.

14. Anon of Holland

My god I am a giant ******! Seems like smspopup automatically supressed androids popups, so I had no clue where to find the default sms settings, nor that I'd have to manually turn them off.
    So after days of flailing about like an idiot, I finally found the default app's settings and everything is fixed now.
    Thanks for your help guys and sorry for taking up your time to answer such a stupid question!

15. cableguynoe

Glad you got it!!

16. anikasc

anikasc New Member

hey, how exactly did you fix it? mine is doing the same and i can't view any of my messages at all! they preview in the notification bar, but when you click them, it opens in the default message screen, but the message isn't there. i have tried deleting and reinstalling also and using root explorer and aks manager to delete it from the sd card, but no luck, notifications still pop up!