sms popups causing live wallpapers to crash?

Last Updated:

1. SSinisterSS

SSinisterSS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

has anyone else noticed the LWP crashing on their droids when using hancent, sms popup, or chomp popups on the homescreen while typing?

Advertisement
  2. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

i havent had any issues so far. what error are you getting

3. SSinisterSS

it just crashes while typing on the homescreen with the quick reply on hancent or sms popup it will revert back to a static wallpaper

4. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

sorry man i havent had that happen at all

5. bry_06

bry_06 New Member

I've had this same problem and even when I got a new Droid the same thing happened. It seems like it happens after you type a certain number of characters in the popup message using Handcent.

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

My Starfield 3D LWP crashed if I typed too FAST in Handcent. I slowed down my character entry and nothing crashed. I just use speech-to-text and haven't had a problem in weeks...

7. SSinisterSS

haha yea i type pretty fast with the portrait kb, it seemed like when i was on a roll it crashed the lwps, ill try slowing down alot

8. sdp0et

sdp0et New Member

I also have this problem, but it's not just for SMS messages. Any time I type where the live wallpaper is visible behind the keyboard it happens. For example, I have multiple widgets that take text input.

It happened this morning while using the facebook widget to try to send a status update. I was able to duplicate it multiple times with different live wallpapers. The factor was 31 or 32 keystrokes. Not characters, but keystrokes. Hitting the shift key or the "?123" symbol key counted even though they did not put anything in the text field. Typing 16 characters, then backspacing to delete them even causes it. Just hitting the symbol key to hop back and forth between symbols and letters without typing anything will cause it on the 32nd stroke.

I tried it with the phone's search button, which leaves a tiny sliver of homescreen visible between the search box (suggested results) and the keyboard. it again happened on the 32nd keystroke.

If I just type the same letter over and over again, it happens on the 32nd one. if I retype the original message I was trying (which contained and at sign (@), a colon and spaces) it happens on the 31st keystroke.

I used ATK to free some memory to test if it might be a memory issue, but it still happened. I restarted the phone, and it still happened.

It seems to me that the issue is either the keyboard or wallpaper. Can anyone else duplicate these results?

I have a Motorola Droid through Verizon. Firmware 2.1-update1, build ESE81. I use Helixlauncher, which may be a contributing factor to the wallpaper display.