SMS Preview in Notification BarSupport

Last Updated:

1. Jacki1008

Jacki1008 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, is there really no way to set the native messaging app so that it WON'T show a preview of a text message in the notification bar?

Advertisement
  2. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

Why yes, there is! When in the main view of the app (seeing all the various threads) go to Menu > Settings > Notifications ("Display message notifications in the status bar") and un-checkmark it.

3. Jacki1008

Unfortunately, then I don't even get the little message icon in the notification bar. I want the icon, just not the content preview that shows up with it.

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

If you just want to know you have a missed message but dont want a preview of it it might be time to branch out beyond the default messaging app. If you DL the free app Handcent [available in Market] you can configure it so it will display a number over its own icon telling you how many missed messages you have

5. Jacki1008

Hi saps. I had Handcent but then uninstalled it. May just need to re-install I guess. There are some things I like about the default app and some things I like about Handcent. Guess i have to choose. Any reason to check out ChompSMS over Handcent?

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

No not really, as you say some of these aftermarket add-on's are so similar. Its really a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other issue sometimes. Try something out you just gotta pick the one you like most [or maybe dislike least]. Handcent is best for me