SMS questionsTips

1. kcandroid1

kcandroid1 New Member

Howdy all,

After a few days digging through the web I just cant find any clear answers to a couple of my issues. I was a long time Blackberry user(work related, I swear) and have finally opted to go with the one and only Droid that Sprint has with international service. So far, Im freaking thrilled! Love it to death.

But...

On my BB I had 2 simple options I just cant find a way to enable on my Photon.

1. I only want to receive SMS from those on my contact list(some idiot kid posted her phone number on facebook last year so I suffered through hundreds of SMS a day). On my BB that was a standard setting. Does that exist in the andriod OS or do I need an overly complicated app?

2. When I dock the Photon, I want phone calls only, never SMS. I have tried using the smart actions but cannot find trigger or switch just to turn off SMS. I tinkered with the VIP calling option, but I need outside numbers to be able to call for business reasons. Is there an easy way to do this?

Lastly, Im on a lot of forums(fori?forumesses) and I know repeat questions are a huge pain in the butt. If my search fu was plain weak, I apologize deeply.

M

Advertisement
    :
  2. jasonacg

jasonacg Well-Known Member

An application, yes. But not complicated.

Download Handcent SMS (free). It's a much more robust app than the built-in Android messaging app. The security/privacy settings allow you to limit incoming messages to contact list only. There are other filters, if you feel the urge to explore them, but the contact list filter is a simple on/off option. Once you have Handcent set up, you can disable notifications from the built-in Android app.

Didn't find an easy solution for this one. Everything I've found would stop both voice and text, not just one or the other.

Hope this helps.
  3. CzechPleez

CzechPleez Well-Known Member

jasonacg has a good solution. HandcentSMS is a good, free app that's very feature rich. I know you can limit access of certain services such as calls to only to/from address book via calling Sprint CS (*2). You may want to check the security settings on your account online and see what else you can manage yourself.
    Log into your sprint.com account... My Preferences tab > Limits and permissions > Block texts ?? Hope some of this helps you.

Thanks for being a Sprint customer.