• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS Recv'd as MMS and Can't Retrieve

RochOAR

Lurker
Jun 17, 2013
My wife has had the Optimus Elite on Virgin Mobile since September 2012. Very light user so she turns 3G off to save battery life, unless she really needs it, which is maybe 5 minutes a day. Since having the phone she will sometimes get a notification that a text has come in, then the text will tell her she needs to download the message. She hits download and it just shows up blank - no words or anything. I have done some research and the text messages are coming in as MMS, when the users on the other end are definitely sending SMS (she isn't in the picture messaging crowd). I just confirmed with one of the users that this frequently happens to that she is on Verizon. I am guessing the phone support through VM would be useless, so I'm seeing if anyone here has suggestions. Also note that it can't be this specific handset, because she actually got a replacement (both Elite's) because the other one froze and continues to have the same issue. I've tried fiddling with the settings (such as telling it not to automatically download MMS messages and also top increase message archive setting), but same result. HELP!

I get that MMS uses data, but shouldn't the message at least come through when she turns on 3G and hits download? Instead it just shows up blank. Also, the one time she got a picture message, that DID download when she hit that option.

Also, it's not a group text situation. It may be the 160 characters issue, but I think most of the texts she get are short and to the point.

It's frustrating because she will ask the person to resend and the same thing happens. That defeats the purpose of texting.

I installed Handcent to try to grab the old messages, but it did not work. Maybe i will have her try it for a week or so and see if it handles new messages any better.

Upvote 0
Murf, you don't get the point....the SENDING USER is NOT sending a MMS. They are sending a simple SMS and it is getting recv'd as MMS. Turning on 3G all the time MAY solve the problem, but it also shreds battery life. Plus as I mentioned before, the one time she got a true MMS, it downloaded ONCE 3g was turned on. This isn't happening with these converted messages. And it's more than one person sending who this is happening to.

I installed Handcent last night, we will see if that fixes anything.

Upvote 0
I feel like the message, though it may be sent as SMS, must be being converted to MMS, either on the Virgin Mobile network's end, or on the sender's carrier's end. Regardless, if it is being sent as MMS, she will need to be connected to the data network yo retrieve it. I have had pretty much endless troubles in retrieving MMS messages on my Virgin Mobile Optimus Elite. The only manner in which I have had any success in downloading MMS if not sent whole connected to the data network, has been to turn data on, and restart the device. It's kind of an ugly and time consuming solution.
I've tried all of the most popular SMS applications on the market, also, and the best results have been in using Chomp SMS.
I hope this has been at least a littl the helpful.
Good luck.

Reactions: RochOAR
Upvote 0
The stock messaging app is outdated to a level in which it is silly, so I would recommend using a third party, more-frequently-updated app, such as Chomp SMS, GO SMS, or Handcent. From there, I would go into the settings of the stock Messaging app and un-check "Delete old messages," check "Message reassembly," check "Auto-retrieve," and un-check "Notifications," to avoid interference with the new, much better, messaging app that has been installed. Rule of thumb; if the stock apps work great for you, you don't have to change them. If they don't, get better ones - they are free, after all.

If none of the above works, you can try manually resetting your data by changing the MEID, etc. There's a guide around here somewhere that covers how to do this. Otherwise, installing a ROM should fix all/most of the problems with this phone that are software-related (Aeneas is great for starters, and Sleipnir and CM9 are actively maintained and kept current and up to date).

As a last-ditch effort, ask VM specifically to reset the account associated with the phone, since this could easily be an external issue. Don't accept the "towers being upgrade" excuse, just insist that they reset the account.

All in all, the inability to receive the messages sounds like it mostly has to do with the data connection of this phone, whether or not 3G is enabled. This, coupled with a heavily-outdated stock messaging app, leads to problems that are easily avoided with a new ROM and a third-party messaging app that is kept up to date. If the phone isn't rooted yet because of any fear of breaking the warranty - I would go ahead and do it anyway; the benefits far outweigh the risks, and most of the damage as a result of taking the wrong risk is easily un-doable, and comes down to your specific choices. And, it's pretty easy to un-root when your wife moves onto another phone, which makes the warranty valid again. Additionally, all of it is pretty simple and easy to follow - we have a great community here with wonderful tutorials that should help you two out. Hope that helps!

Reactions: RochOAR
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones