• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS sending failure (on ORANGE)

Hey guys

I don't know if this will help. But i had the same error "generic network failure" after only having my HTC desire for couple weeks. I am on o2 sim simplicity and purchased the handset separately.

However, i resolved it by manually setting up the WEB&MMS.

This guide is based on a HTC Desirethat has been unlocked and is now running a O2 SIM card.

Click 'menu' and select 'wireless & networks'.

Ensure Mobile network is enabled (ticked green) then select 'mobile networks' (setting options for roaming and APNs)

Click on Access Points Names asvyou will need to set up 2 x APNs on the handset.

First one is for your mobile internet. Remember that if you do not have the unlimited web bolt on then this will start to get very expensive for you! You need to enter this information in. If there is nothing written for a paticular field then just leave it blank.

Mobile Web:
Name: o2
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username: web
Password: web
MCC: 234
MNC: 10

select 'menu' and 'save' before going back from the settings to the APNs page. Yours O2 will be listed.

Following this select 'menu' and 'New APN' to set up your MMS, APN details are as following:

Name: MMS
APN: wap.o2.co.uk
Username: o2wap
Password: password
Server: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS Port: 8080
MCC: 243
MNC: 10

Now once these two seperate APN's have been entered and you have made sure you saved them you should see a grey circle next to each one.

Click on the MMS circle and it should now have a green light inside it.

Re-Boot the handset.

You should now have mobile internet and MMS capabilities
thumbsup.gif

Just remember that these are the settings that worked for me on my HTC Magic unlocked and used with a O2 SIMplicity card with a unlimited web bolt on. Make sure you have a data package otherwise your phone bills will be massive! If in doubt check with O2 to make sure your not being charged for the data etc. I cannot be held responsible!

Upvote 0
does everyone have a similar yet not identical problem? my phone refuses to text one individual both on handcent and on the stock htc messaging app. doesn't even send when i switch between gsm and wcdma, i've deleted his contact and put it back into the phone, deleted the sms thread with the individual and soft reset my phone, yet nothing changes. i'm also on orange, and had my number ported from t-mobile

has anyone found a hard reset solves the issue?

Upvote 0
i got my desire on Thursday and have been having this problem since the off. it happens every other text message to only one person in my contacts. rung orange about it once and they said leave it until you sim finds the network and settles in. waited a few days still having the problem rung again today and she updated my network setting she said to take the battery out wait 20 secs put it back in and it should be fine. Did all this hoping it would fix it and it didn't. any ideas on how to fix it? i live in Pudsey btw (which is in Leeds)

Upvote 0
right so i was on the phone all morning to orange. after them telling me to do a two way sim swap we found that it was defiantly the phone. i rang them back yet again telling thm it was my phone and they said to do a hard reset as a last resort and they will put down that the phone is faulty on my acccound and they would replace it if the hard reset didnt work but i did the hard reset and IT WORKED! so this may be a fix or it may just be my case i will give it a week and see if the problem comes back and if it does i will go get the phone replaced and post on here.

Upvote 0
I've had the txt message failures too, I think it is an Orange/Desire quirk. This happens mostly at Villa Park, which is not unusual as most football grounds are a nightmare for signal/high volume of traffic, particularly at half time. When I had a Sony Ericsson the txts may have left the handset, but could take an age to make it through to the recipient. It seems that with the Desire that when it encounters the same issue the txt doesn't leave the handset. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I had this problem a while back . I pinned it down to the mobile network settings being on GSM / WCDMA auto.

It was specifically happening when the phone decided to switch itself from WCDMA to GSM , it would also say unable to detect current time zone.

setting the phone to WCDMA only worked for me as i am in a good area.

when it did happen i did not reboot the phone , just changed the settings and it rectified itself.

has anyone tried updating the radio on their device, my radio is 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2 there are newer radio's out now it could possibly be a radio issue...

oh yeah , forgot i am on t-mobile uk , rooted...

Upvote 0
MISSING CALLS
I have had the issue of my incoming calls going direct to answerphone. This only occurs when on 3G despite appearing to have a good signal. I also have been unable to surf the net on 3G. Orange are unable to give an answer and suggest leaving it on 2G which does resolve the issue.

UNABLE TO SEND TEXT
I found this was isolated to not all of my contacts in my phone. I found that I had to delete the contact and ALL saved messages from my phone contacts, computer sync contacts, and reinstalling the details cured the issue. It is a fault that is created within the phone which to all intent and purposes you can see nothing visually wrong.

I have been with Vodafone for some 20 years and never had these kind of issues however the support staff at Orange are far better than Vodafone. I will most definitely be returning to Vodafone at the end of this contract. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones