SMS Texting over WiFi (in low coverage area)Support

Last Updated:

1. Dragonnas

Dragonnas Member This Topic's Starter

Title says it all.

I have been a t-mobile customer for a decade (since it was VoiceStream) and one of my favorite T-Mo features was the hotspot@home service, which would let you substitute WiFi coverage for 3g/EDGE/GMA when you were connected to a suitable network.

While I could care less about making UMA phone calls, I really miss being able to send/receive SMS messages over my WiFi connection. Seems like everywhere I live has terrible reception- That's why I used the Hotspot@Home service.

Well as Most of you probably know, T-Mo discontinued all the phones that offer it except for the BlackBerry (which is utterly hideous). Has anyone heard about an Android app for SMS over WiFi?

What sorts of workarounds do you guys use to accomplish this goal? Really the main point is to be able to receive text messages when I have no tower coverage. Help me out!

Advertisement
  2. Kittyfae

Kittyfae Well-Known Member

You could try using Google Voice, since that would be a text send to their servers and you should get a notification about it on your phone and could reply from their app. It might be a bit slow though, about 10 mins from what I've read. I've not actually tried anything myself, so just wanted to throw something out there.