SMS vcard not saving to my contacts listSupport

Last Updated:

1. anthgav

anthgav Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi
    I have a HTC Desire
    When I recieve vcard's via sms text messages I open the message and touch the vcard, it says "the vcard has been imported succesfully".
    When I go to my contacts list the supposed vcard entry does not show up in the list.
    Is this a common problem, if so can anyone help! [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. josifbg

josifbg New Member

Looks like i`ve the same problem ...

Strange nobody is reporting the issue...

3. danny2001k

danny2001k Member

any update on this? I have the same problem.

4. johancs

johancs New Member

I have discovered the following:

It seems like contact from vCard is imported successfully to my desire, but it is not listed in my people's list. However, i find that everytime i try importing vCard contact, a new entry with name "unnamed" occurs containing nothing.

I seems it tries to import contact, but only creates a new contact with no content named "unnamed"

I don't know if this is due to a setting in my phone or if it is a general bug. Currently I am running my phone using Norwegian settings.

5. shmicky

shmicky Member

Same problem. Very annoying. Could it be that the vCard was sent as a SMS message rather than MMS ?
    A quick look on google suggests this may have something to do with it...?

6. anthgav

I sent myself a vCard from my girlfreinds HTC Desire which is identical to mine and my vCard saves fine to my contacts. I wonder if it has anything to do with different OS and phone.

7. sudkcoce

sudkcoce Well-Known Member

+1, mine says imported successfully or something like that, and then creates an "Unnamed" entry...
    That's really weird on such a great phone...

8. Jazzdude

Jazzdude Active Member

9. gubacsek

gubacsek Member

+1

Same shit here. I received the vcard from an older nokia phone. Probably there is something wrong with the format. It would be nice to open this "vcard" as text at least, to see what's in there, and save the data manually.... I can't find a way...

10. DEREK691

DEREK691 New Member

I had the same problem. Found that I had to ensure that message was sent to my phone in MMS format. When it was I opened message and tapped on vcard, this was automatically saved to my contacts list. Hope this helps?

11. anthgav

surely you can't be expected to ask someone to send contacts as an MMS as it will cost people more money as most people don't have MMS messages in there data plan.

12. forthose

forthose New Member

Well, happy to hear it's not my Desire not working but this is absolutely ridiculous!!
    As anthgav correctly points out, why on earth should people be forced tu use expensive MMS when the standard is SMS?? :mad:
    I wonder if they've fixed the bug (let's call it with its name!) with upcoming Froyo...

13. michlja

michlja New Member

I'm on a captivate, and similar problems. when I get vcards from friends with iphones, they save to 'my files' but when i go to open them, I get "failure to parse vcard for unexpected reasosn (incompatible version: 3.0 !=2.1)

any suggestions?

14. Mike P

Mike P Member

Hi I have the same problem too....

no solution yet?

thanks.

15. Jazzdude

Jazzdude Active Member

Further to my earlier post http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/72912-sms-vcard-not-saving-my-contacts-list.html#post943910 it would appear that the only way to import a vCard, if it actually works for you that is, is to send it as an MMS, as per my link in the aforementioned post (#8), specifically, verbatim: -

Viewing or saving a multimedia attachment

If you are concerned about the size of your data downloads, check the multimedia message size before you download it.

Note: When Auto-retrieve in MMS settings is disabled, only the message header is downloaded. To download the entire message, tap the Download button at the right side of the message. For details, see

* While viewing a message in the inbox, tap an attachment to open it.

If the attachment is a vCard contact, it is imported to your Phone contacts list.

However, if that doesn't work, I have found a very basic workaround, purely by accident, that is, as follows: -

When you receive the SMS or MMS (it works for me using SMS) containing the vCard, navigate to your Home screen: -

[​IMG]

Then click Home to get to the 7 Home Screens: -

[​IMG]

and select the Message screen, as indicated by the red box. The name and phone number, et cetera, will appear: -

[​IMG]

NOTE: This does not resolve our vCard issues, nor does it save the vCard to your Phone book or People, however, at least you know the contents/details of the vCard.

Hope this helps somewhat.

16. dudemyster

dudemyster Well-Known Member

i have problem semding vards, recipents just get an email qwith the details later tried contacting O2 they have no idea so will try HTC too i guess....do any of u have such problems?

regards

17. taylord01

taylord01 New Member

Hi there. Same issue. Received sms with vCard attachment. Appears to save to People address book but ends up as an Un-named entry with no details.

Replied to the sms containing the vCard and once sent, Lo and behold the vCard details appear on the original sms in the thread list. Simply tapped the number and was prompted what I wanted to do with it. Saved to existing contact.

Work around I guess?

Rozee_B likes this.
  18. frankdog

frankdog New Member

Same issue on Telstra 2.2 :-( Very annoying!

19. stock

stock New Member

I get the vcard no problem, problem is I don't know the name I'm looking for. So the contact is added but I don't know what name it is.

Example: I asked a friend for a commercial glass guy, he said sure and sent the contact. I have no idea how this contact is listed or their name. I want to import it and also have it open so I can see it, edit the info etc...

Anyone know how to fix this?

20. leighb1

leighb1 New Member

It appears to be a bug, but there is a way to see the content of the vcard. Just select that sms (the one containing the vcard) and then FORWARD it. The next screen shows the content of the vcard, so you can read through it and see the detail. Hope that helps until they fix the bug ...

21. Archphoto

Archphoto Well-Known Member

Nice to know it isn't just me having this problem - didn't give it much thought until I saw this thread.

My VCards are usually coming from a Nokia - and yes, it says it's imported successfully, but like others I just get a bunch of "Un-named" listings. :eek:

22. Srividya

Srividya New Member

Any solution for thsi problem of viewing the Vcard contacts

23. pjat

pjat New Member

I was also having trouble importing a vcard that was sent via text message, but have figured it out for my phone anyway (HTC Hero - Android 1.5).

The original problem was that when a vcard was sent to me via text, it would simply show up in the text message as a slideshow with 1 slide. Once it was clicked on it would simply display a black screen for a few seconds and then would return to the text message. It did not import it at all. In fact, there is absolutely no indication that this attachment was a vcard at all. It simply appeared that someone sent me a black photograph.

I found that if I click on the message rather than the slideshow icon then it launched a list of menu options. One of the options is Import Vcard. Once this option was selected it immediately imported the vcard correctly...including the photograph associated with the vcard.

This won't solve some of the issues discussed in this thread, but hopefully will for some.

24. JennaDonna

JennaDonna New Member

I have a new Samsung Captivate and had problems opening the Vcard my boss sends from her iPhone4. So this is what I figured out. Once you save the Vcard and it's in your "My Files" folder. Move it to your SD Card and then go to your main screen, click on your Contacts. Once you see your contacts list. Click on your Menu and go to "More"... Click on Import/Export... Select "Import from SD card"... then another screen comes up and says "Create contact under account"... Click "Phone"... it will then search your SD card and it gives you the option to Import One or Mulitple Vcards... Select the one that applies to you and that's it! It's saved onto your Contact List! Hope this helps you guys! =)