• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
GTalk and GV are the only ones that use data, all the IM clients use SMS, Google Voice SMS uses your carrier's SMS if you have the default settings set to forward it to your mobile # so make sure you disable that and it will just use data.

This is simply not true - MeeboIM, for one, uses data. You can see their official blog here where it specifically states to the contrary to your statement:

meeblog Blog Archive meebo for android (what i did on my summer hackation)

The bottom line is you need to educate yourself about each application to see what it does and does not use to remain connected.

Upvote 0
GTalk and GV are the only ones that use data, all the IM clients use SMS, Google Voice SMS uses your carrier's SMS if you have the default settings set to forward it to your mobile # so make sure you disable that and it will just use data.

Thanks everybody!

And to the person above me, I think he just made a simple typo and swapped them up. Thanks everybody! Hopefully this will help future users.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones