SMS vs. Data

Last Updated:

1. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

Data on the droid is unlimited, and all of the instant messaging apps use data to transmit messages, pictures and IMs. They do not count as part of your messaging package.

3. ctlongley

ctlongley Member

Droid uses data for anything BUT an SMS/MMS application (with the exception of Google Voice). So if you are using Chomp or Handcent, you are using your messaging (SMS/MMS) plan. All else is part of the unlimited data.

4. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

GTalk and GV are the only ones that use data, all the IM clients use SMS, Google Voice SMS uses your carrier's SMS if you have the default settings set to forward it to your mobile # so make sure you disable that and it will just use data.

5. ctlongley

ctlongley Member

This is simply not true - MeeboIM, for one, uses data. You can see their official blog here where it specifically states to the contrary to your statement:

meeblog Blog Archive meebo for android (what i did on my summer hackation)

The bottom line is you need to educate yourself about each application to see what it does and does not use to remain connected.

6. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everybody!

And to the person above me, I think he just made a simple typo and swapped them up. Thanks everybody! Hopefully this will help future users.