• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMSReader: listen your SMS as soon as they arrive

Hello,

We have developed the application SMSReader. With this application, you will be able to listen the SMS text messages as soon as you get them. It's a really useful application when driving, because most hands-free won't be able to read SMS. The user interface is simple and intuitive. By now you can set these options:
- SMS Reader: if you check on this option you will active/desactive the application.
- Bluetooth: by selecting this option, SMSReader will only read the SMS text messages when bluetooth is on.
- Volume: you can set the multimedia volume used to play the SMS text message.

You can find more info in this link:
Android in Spain: SMSReader: listen your SMS as soon as they arrive

We hope you enjoy it! :)

Hi soulesschild!

This version 1.0.0 is compatible with Android 1.6 (Donut) and next versions. I have no tested it on Motorola Droid (i'm waiting for a Motorola Milestone here in Europe) but it must work fine because 1.6 API version is compatible with the version that the Droid has.

You could try it, and if you don't like it, ask for refund during the first day of your buy.

I hope you enjoy it!

Upvote 0
Hi WhiskeySix!

SMSReader will work with any SMS text reader that you have. SMSReader will only intercept the new SMS in order to be able to speak it to you, but the SMS text message will be handled within your proper installed application.

For example: if you have SMSReader activated, and one SMS arrives to your phone, the process will be the following one:

- SMSReader detects the new message using a broadcast receiver (until this moment the app has no been wasting battery) and starts a background service with the TTS system, when all the work is done, SMSReader will start to speak the message.

- While the SMSReader is working on, your phone OS (Android and not SMSReader) saves your new message, usually generates a new notification and your SMS reader app will alert you. For example, I have chompSMS and after SMSReader reads the message, I can read manually the SMS in chompSMS.

Feel free to send us any comments! I hope you enjoy it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones