• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Snap On Case AND Invisible Shield Problem (Screen protector falling off...)

vagabond251

Lurker
Nov 19, 2009
I recently purchased the standard clear snap-on case for the MOTO Droid from the Verizon store while I had a wonderful Best Buy Mobile Sales Manager install an Invisible Shield for the front (I prefer not the whole body cover). I put the case back on and he told me to let it dry, which I did. The next time I attempted to remove the top portion of the snap-on case, however, it peeled a few parts of the screen protector, resulting in me having to relay some parts and push out some bubbles. I asked a guy at another Verizon Wireless store about this problem and he believed that as of now, NO snap on cases are without this problem. I have gone around the front and pushed as smoothly as possible to eliminate any potential places the skin could latch on to but REALLY need to have a hard/silicon cover on the front of the phone AND a screen protector. Has anyone had any experience with a problem like this? If it makes a difference I used the solution again last night (when it initially peeled off after removal of the case) and let it sit naked overnight and have let it sit this morning. Are there better cases out there that won't interfere with the screen protector? Or did I mess up by not letting it dry and by putting the hard case on before waiting several hours? Thanks in advanced.

While that may be the case, the I love the Invisible Shield I have and it has not interfered with performance or touch screen sensitivity yet. I understand if I can not have one without the other, just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience. Thanks for letting me know. I may end up taking off the shield completely and opting for a case only.

Upvote 0
i ordered the invisible shield full body prior to getting the droid. when i received it, i went through the entire process to put it on, waiting 12+ hours before turning it on. prior to that i had been using the droid for 2 days with no problems. when the shield was dry as prescribed, i turned on the droid and found that the shield prevented accurate touch on the touch screen. it caused the screen to stutter and didn't take a tap. see the video i took here http://www.ordinary1.com/mov00498.mpg . I sent zagg a note and the link to the video. they were very nice and explained that they have had no complaints and gave me a refund once i mailed it back. they also sent me a free one to try again. i have not reinstalled it because i would hate to go through that process only to have it fail again. somehow it's hard to go that long without my toy. instead i put the standard verizon screen protector on and also now use the silicone case. it makes the droid larger but will also give me piece of mind. i took the insurance but will probably cancel that in a month or so. btw- a nice case is at Col. Littleton Large Cell Phone Holster -- Orvis , it's a leather belt holster and really cool.

Upvote 0
I dont have any case on my droid yet, waiting for more options to become available. I do have a Zagg kit on though, and yes you have to let it dry first before you attempt to put any case on that may come in contact with it. If your Invisible shield is worthless now with those corners, contact zagg and get your warranty replacement. I cant say for sure how cases and zagg work with the droid, because I don't have a case yet, but for my iphone cases and zagg worked wonderful.

Glass screen or not, my first got scratched and thats a result I don't want to live with for the next 2 years, so I play it safe.

Upvote 0
Yes the glass screen is very scratch resistant, but not scratch proof. Ever have any small grains of dirt/sand in the corner of your pocket? That will put scratches ALL OVER the DROID's screen, and god forbid you drop it the wrong way because enough pressure on any rough surface will scratch it. I think the Zagg is a little to sticky for a case, especially if the case clips on the edge where the Zagg ends. I use to think Zagg was the best until I got a Phantom Skinz and they are so so so much smoother and just as protective. I know you can get 2 of their screen protectors for like 8 bucks w/ shipping right now on Cell Phone Screen Protectors, Invisible Protection Skins & Screen Covers | PhantomSkinz.com so maybe it is worth a shot. If not try a soft gel case with the Zagg

Upvote 0
i received a free replacement for the droid invisible shield from zagg and had panned the item in my previous post on the subject. i want to take this opportunity to amend and revise those comments. i spent the time to apply the new shield as i had done before and i will say that the shield that i installed yesterday is working just fine. the replacement packaging from zagg was different so i don't know if they sent me a different version than the one i originally received. i am not experiencing any of the stuttering or lack of recognition the previous one had.

Upvote 0
The shield is still working well, but even though I let it dry when I remove the front plastic cover it peels small parts of it off. It hasn't been a big deal, I have just pressed them down and smoothed them out with a credit card. My concern is whether or not this will deteriorate the overall quality of the shield. I COULD get a replacement, but I would prefer to wait until it is necessary. Any thoughts? I am thinking I need to leave this case on, take it off when I eventually get a nicer, better fitting one, and really let the shield dry before applying the new case. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
i would think that the quality of the shield would remain intact but obviously it's usability is decreased if it comes off when you remove your shell. i think the product itself is a sticky kind of surface so it would more than likely stick to almost anything it is pressed hard against. i too have the silicon shell but after having read your post i am reluctant to use it. i keep the droid in the case i described in an earlier post and am quite careful when handling it though i do fear the day when i may drop it. bottom line- sorry, i don't have a good answer for you...

Upvote 0
Well I am going to have to disagree with you on that one. I thought that was a perfectly reasonable answer, just what I needed to hear. From what I have heard from people at Verizon stores and online I think we are stuck (no pun intended) with the cases we have now until nicer ones come out which will hopefully be less demanding on the screen protector. I think you are right and that because both surfaces are nearly the same, and have the same solution applied, that they will stick to any surface with enough time and pressure.

Upvote 0
I have a NEW Droid X and bought the invisishield for it. I followed the directions to the letter, and then noticed that my screen would freeze when i was doing anything, texting, browsing, calling, you name it, pretty much every time i used it. So after a week of that annoyance, i was sent a new one. I put the invisishield on that one, again, following the directions to the letter. The second phone started rebooting on it's own and won't stop. I know 2 other folks without that on their Droid X's and have no problems at all. I won't be putting it on the next phone. Instead, i'll get the $7 alternative from wal-mart that doesn't require and liquid for installation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones