Snapdragon S4 ProGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Well-Known Member

If you've read any reviews that discussed benchmarking you know this phone has a serious problem with throttling. Benchmarks were disappointing and the only time it showed numbers like it should was when it was run in a freezer.

The Droid DNA has the same Snapdragon S4 Pro 1.5GHz quad core processor. Here are some benchmarks:

Benchmarks: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 vs. HTC DROID DNA

2. lordj

lordj Well-Known Member

Because LG makes crap phones. TV's are good though.
  3. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Ughhhhhh.... So the honeymoon has ended!
  4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Never seen a problem in real use.
  5. HereticSins

HereticSins Well-Known Member

No they don't. Benchmarks don't mean anything. Compare a droid DNA with the n4 in rl and I bet there just as smooth.
  6. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

The Nexus 4 is not a crap phone.

It's also the quickest and smoothest I've used and that includes recent devices like iPhone, HTC One X and so on...
  7. Banished Angel

I agree that real world usage is virtually identical. I'm just inquiring as to why the Nexus has a throttling problem and the DNA doesn't.
  8. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

Feels ridiculously fast to me. Installed like 30 apps in a couple minutes while I was fiddling around on the phone and I didn't even realize it until it was done and all of my apps were there.
  9. MT Rotor

MT Rotor Guest

Pointless thread delete
  10. acp

acp Well-Known Member

lol one lg is crap comment derailed the thread. I'm also curious about the "why", I don't care if there is no performance issue, but it's still an interesting observation.
  11. lordj

lordj Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just in my experience the two LG phones I had were sluggish and had other issues. I'm sure the N4 is a nice phone, just could've been even better if someone else was making them IMO. Gonna wait til next year and see what they come up with.
  12. shaneydroid

shaneydroid Well-Known Member

I was worried that the benchmarks might indicate a problem but after a few days of actual use it is like lightning in everything it does so I don't really care.
    Noticeably faster and smoother than my Nexus 7 when doing the same jobs.
  13. JunBringer

yeah so's mine. so badass
  14. Banished Angel

This thread is not pointless. Let me clarify, again. The throttle is not noticeable in real world usage and the only time it should ever come into discussion is in benchmarking. Yes, this phone is lightening fast.

Let me get back to my original point. The Nexus 4 and the Droid DNA both use the exact same processor. The Nexus 4 under-preforms in behchmarks (not real world usage), but the Droid DNA doesn't. There is obviously an explanation for this and if anyone can shed some light on it I would be grateful.
  15. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I'm very happy to hear real usage is proving to be smooth and fast. How about browser performance, loading web pages on wifi vs other devices etc.

And OP this is probably the most up to date speculation:

Originally Posted by Turbotab
    "In the video, only 2 tests were selected, the site that reported potential down clocking of the SoC due to thermal issues (Anandtech) selected all the tests, that is a massive test and obviously stresses the chip a lot. I recommend downloading GL Benchmark 2.5 and selecting all the tests (Onscreen & Offscreen) it will torture any device iOS or Android."

"I completely agree with you, my nexus 7 with it's 40nm Tegra T30L will hit thermal limits on stock when trying to finish this benchmark even undervolted and my dear old exynos 4412 (32m) s3 crashes before it even gets a chance to finish. Every SoC will eventually hit it's thermal limit, I am just glad the device can actually get through all the tests *cough unlike the galaxy s3 :p (don't get me wrong I love the s3, just not it's support from Samsung)"
  16. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Found a browser comparison video, interpret how you want I just was happy to see the n4 doing well.

So, I have not been around too many ICS phones with the soft keys in the phone, I'm amazed how much more real estate the GS3 has when looking at web pages etc. it makes sense now why Samsung and HTC are not adopting that design.
  17. Bob Loblaw1

Bob Loblaw1 Well-Known Member

Man you aren't kidding. The display on the GS3 looks much bigger than the 4.7 to 4.8 difference would lead you to believe.
  18. Banished Angel

There's also an aspect ration difference. The GSIII is 4.8 inch 16:9, but the Nexus 4 is 4.7 inch 5:3.
  19. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is not news for anyone familiar with the Galaxy Nexus, I personally never looked into that phone before.
  20. Bob Loblaw1

Bob Loblaw1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I read that and I'm not too worried about it. I could never watch a movie on a phone personally and I don't play games. Strictly web browsing, e-mail, social media etc...
  21. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I'll have to research this because I do watch a lot of videos and movies on phones. And it is kind of a weird thing because you're basically getting a phone that is the same size as the One X or GS3, but much less screen real estate, 4.7" > 4.45"
  22. JunBringer

I prefer the 5:3 aspect ratio over 16:9. I have a Galaxy Note with 16:10 which was nice too. I like a wide screen.
    acp likes this.
  23. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Well-Known Member

24. burtonvdp

burtonvdp Well-Known Member

I don't really trust benchmarks on brand new phones and OS's. They might not be optimizing correctly / false reading... kind of the speed tests on new networks. Anyways I personally would rather have a faster processor running at slower speeds even if its not tapping out at 100% utilization. The cooler the component the longer it will last..... As long as its fast enough to "appear" fast.