So, am I right in thinking...

Last Updated:

1. Gotte

Gotte Active Member This Topic's Starter

that if I download loads of aps, they only run when I run them? I've noticed my hero has got a lot slower in the last few days. Of course, I've downloaded a load of aps, but I wonder how many of them actually run. Do I need to run them, or will they be running in the background? Does it depend on which aps (games, translators, etc, I would imagine don't run in the background, but others?)

Also, how do you go about disabling permanently the tasks that run in the background and are constantly updating. I'm thinking about gmail and texts. I read somewhere these sap the power, and you can make it so they only update when you access them.

Many thanks

Advertisement
  2. JimR123

JimR123 Well-Known Member

It's a bit like Windows, in that some apps stay in memory after you use them (often depending on how you leave the app), and some start themselves automatically when you start the phone.

If you download the TasKiller app, it will show you what apps are running.

I get the impression that apps may still be in memory, but not actually be doing anything though, so having apps loaded might not actually make the phone slower.

I tend to check the individual settings/preferences of each app I download, to make sure it's not doing something like automatic sync'ing or anything, unless I want it to.

3. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Most data consuming apps have the ability to set their update frequency (or disable it all together). I have mine set to two hours and update manually if I need to. The google app update frequency can be set in 'settings'.

SMS is a push function from your telephony provider that you can't alter but consumes very little.

4. Gotte

Thanks for that.
    How do I configure the apps? I l tried loading some apps, but couldn;t see any settings option. Also looked in Applications in the settings menu, but couldn't find anything there, either.

5. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Try Settings > Applications>Manage Applications. Its a guess, dont shhot the messenger :-D

6. Gotte

Thanks for that. I see that route works for some apps, but not others.