So annoying when making calls!!! My ear keeps hitting keypad..General

Last Updated:

1. heyjoojoo

heyjoojoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had this annoying problem with dialing a number, placing the phone up to my face and suddenly finding my call being placed on hold as the phone is attempting to dial another number. What's happening, you say? Well, as the phone is being placed up to my ear, my ear is inadvertently touching the keypad of the phone and dialing. I thought the phone was supposed to automatically shut off the screen during a live call so as to prevent accidental dialing, no?

Advertisement
  2. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Just tested it on my phone and the screen turned off immediately after i place it next to my ear.

Try making a call and covering the sensor with your finger (left side of speaker) to see if the screen turns off right away.
    If not, i'd take it in to Verizon.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

We've seen some posted reports of defective proximity sensors in some devices.

Either not detecting when the phone is taken away from the ear, or as with you, the other way around.

If it's clean and not working properly, return it, as Cable Guy says.. it is not fixable aside from attempting a battery pull (live) to see if that remedies the situation, or a factory data reset.

4. mistaj33

mistaj33 Well-Known Member

I've heard some screen protectors can also effect the proximity sensor negatively. If you have one, you might try removing it first, before heading to the store.

5. heyjoojoo

heyjoojoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Turns out that it was my Otter Box rubber sleeve for my phone was interfering with the sensor. I have since removed it and the sensor performs fine. The phone does feel vulnerable now to dropping...

6. Jmtegra

Jmtegra Well-Known Member

But doesnt it just feel so much better in your hands without the case? :D

7. cableguynoe

+1

Naked is the way to go.

8. isherwood

isherwood Well-Known Member

With phones having giant, glossy screens and all I've taken to holding it out away from my face, with just the top edge against my ear. There's no reason to cheek-hump the thing and get it all full of ear taint. :)

9. cableguynoe

I hate it when my wife uses my phone and puts it up against her face... gets full of gunk!!!!

OTD knows what I'm talking about :D

10. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

slightly OT but I find it interesting that one of the "solutions" that Jobs/Apple is promoting for fixing the iPhone4 problem with the antenna being enclosed in the casing around the phone and if you don't hold it right it interferes with the connection, is to buy their rubber case, probably at $20 or $30 a pop. Myself, I like the Eris naked. have dropped it a couple of times but so far no harm done except that it explodes, with the back and the battery and the phone all going in different directions it seems.

11. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I keep a cleaning cloth with me at all times for just that reason. LOL