• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

so any impressions of new Sprint Hero ruu 'leaked' rom?

hakujin

Android Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2010
New to the community. I have installed custom roms on WinMo 5 in the past but now am completely lost related to all the nomenclature floating around. The one thing that has kept me from the time equity in learning thus far is no matter the ROM, there are always caveats/bugs/etc (facebook, contacts, battery, etc. etc.) despite claims of 'everything works', this almost invariably is not the case. Thus I've been holding off for the official 2.1 update before I got started and still have a less than one month old, vanilla sprint htc hero.

Now, I'm really anxious to try this leaked ROM and would like to know:

In installing this ROM am I losing anything in the future (e.g. ability to root, do backups, ability to update via Sprint etc.)? I don't know what to make of the comments such as:

"A Test RUU is useless to someone that is not a Dev."

And DamageControl mentioned it still has root, which I take to be a good thing, since root allows for features that present in non root device, so... will the final official have root?

I must admit too, after reading the leaked thread over at xda, I have no idea the things that have transpired which have resulted in the uneasiness over there, but I thought to post here as things are a tad high strung in those parts, :D.

p.s. different betwen spb and nandroid?

Thanks for your help. :thinking:

It seems nice....but there are 3 roms out currently that support live wallpapers with htc sense. That seems like if its not good yet has potential. You wont find that on the RUU.

The three are: zen rom, new damageless rom (both of these built off of sprint), and darchlegend (built off of legend)

Upvote 0
It seems nice....but there are 3 roms out currently that support live wallpapers with htc sense. That seems like if its not good yet has potential. You wont find that on the RUU.

The three are: zen rom, new damageless rom (both of these built off of sprint), and darchlegend (built off of legend)

How are you able to get livewallpapers to work with sense? Everything I have tried and read says that no ROMS have been able to get livewallpapers to work with sense on any ROMS. IF I'm mistaken that would be great, but I have yet to find anything. Some livewallpapers work, but only if sense is disabled and most do not survive past the phone going to sleep. That has been my experience.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link!

I must say, I'm learning more as I go, but a lot of info to absorb. So answered most of my own questions except nandroid spb differences, but i guess that'll come to me once I follow how to on root.

Leaning on waiting for the 'official' rls. I know the ruu runs great, but I reckon if I've waited a month now (since I've purchased the phone) and didn't go w/ a cooked variant of this rom, which IMO, has to be better, then there's no sense jumping on now, especially w/ end of month looming and the slight chance of hiccups if upgrading from this ruu to final. now if the 2.1 rom doesn't hit EOM then maybe a different story.

the only thing that concerns me is the rootability of the final. i really wanna root it, if only to get rid of crappy sprint and superfluous apps that like to run out of the blue all the time requiring a task killer, but i'm thinking it'll be hours and not days after official release, don't ya'll think?

regarding live wallpapers, I really don't care if that's included in final 2.1 for sprint or not. i've never been a fan of screensavers on pc as they are an necessary hw tax in my book. More so, w/ live wallpapers as it will undoubtedly hit the battery adversely and for me, ZERO marginal utility, in fact I kind of find them distracting but nonetheless better suited to a tegra 2 phone.

Upvote 0
How are you able to get livewallpapers to work with sense? Everything I have tried and read says that no ROMS have been able to get livewallpapers to work with sense on any ROMS. IF I'm mistaken that would be great, but I have yet to find anything. Some livewallpapers work, but only if sense is disabled and most do not survive past the phone going to sleep. That has been my experience.
You just have to search google for the roms I posted and you would have found your answer. Its not 100% working yet. Right now here is some issues. Running openGl lite only a few livewallpapers stick others revert back to the default wallpaper after the phone wakes up from sleep. There is a fix which allows all wallpapers to stick, the problem is that its full opengl so the performance is lacking (low fps on nexusmod wallpaper-in my experience).

Upvote 0
I use DamageControl and his new version with live wallpapers there are a few of the live wallpapers that do work with sense the falling leaves is one of them.

I haven't had to many issues with damagecontrol at all it is pretty awesoem and fast. I have also not had any problems with the paid apps I have purchased showing up like some people with other custom roms.

I am glad I tried it....It is awesome!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones