• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So are you keeping your N7?

Lol.

To those of you who are saying that you are going to keep your current note 7 you are aware that you only have until the end of this month to replace it correct. After that if anything happens you have to take it up with your phone insurance as a claim in which I'm sure will cost you money not to mention some people don't always opt for the monthly insurance.
I am replacing mine even though , I am having no issues. Replacements coming as soon as Next week. If nothing by the end of the month I will go back to the Note 4 . Until the new Note 7 comes out and make sure I keep my upgrade!!!

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
I think you're absolutely correct. Samsung is going to turn those returned devices around, slap in the "new" battery, and re-sell them as "refurbished." I was quietly hoping that Samsung would not only offer a new replacement, but also do an offer where one could keep the original Note 7 they received and pay a nominal fee (like cost of shipping) to keep that one as well. So, for those that wanted, they could have 2 Note 7 devices! I'd actually be in the boat of people that would take that option.

I'm thinking they're going to do what HP did a few years back after they were caught trying to slip refurbished parts in their new computers, they'll just put a note inside (get it?) that says, "This unit may contain parts that have been recertified (they hate calling them "refurbished") parts that have been rigorously tested"

Not even Apple is beyond the practice https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/20/applecare-plus-class-action-refurb-lawsuit/ Granted, that's mostly people that send their items in when they have an extended warranty.

One way to find out I guess, I don't suspect that they'll be able to re-use the IMEI number on the devices, and they may just wind up slapping a new IMEI label on the boxes. I've been around long enough to know not to expect a large company to do what's in the best interest of their customers if it's in conflict with the best interest of their shareholders.

Upvote 0
Lol.

To those of you who are saying that you are going to keep your current note 7 you are aware that you only have until the end of this month to replace it correct. After that if anything happens you have to take it up with your phone insurance as a claim in which I'm sure will cost you money not to mention some people don't always opt for the monthly insurance.

You forget that the phone is covered under the manufacturer's 1 year warranty. Given that they've already stated that there is an issue with the battery, that would fall under a manufacturer's defect and would be covered. To play it safe, I would say your best bet is to use only Samsung chargers. Returning the device up until the end of this month is just an offer to have it returned without any restocking fees.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking they're going to do what HP did a few years back after they were caught trying to slip refurbished parts in their new computers, they'll just put a note inside (get it?) that says, "This unit may contain parts that have been recertified (they hate calling them "refurbished") parts that have been rigorously tested"

Not even Apple is beyond the practice https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/20/applecare-plus-class-action-refurb-lawsuit/ Granted, that's mostly people that send their items in when they have an extended warranty.

One way to find out I guess, I don't suspect that they'll be able to re-use the IMEI number on the devices, and they may just wind up slapping a new IMEI label on the boxes. I've been around long enough to know not to expect a large company to do what's in the best interest of their customers if it's in conflict with the best interest of their shareholders.

After seeing your post, and remembering that this Phandroid article talked about Samsung recently selling refurbished phones direct?...Part of me is wondering if the whole battery thing was a conspiracy, for them to garner more revenue selling refurbished Note 7's later!

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/02/samsung-selling-refurbished-smartphones/

Upvote 0
But in saying that the courtesy phone they give you (with my carrier it's a Galaxy J1) you get to keep even after you get your new shiny Note7 with a non-explosive battery. So if you go without your Note7 for a little while you'll end up with two phones!
What carrier are you with? My Verizon store only offers to let me exchange for a different phone. No loaners are on offer.

Upvote 0
After seeing your post, and remembering that this Phandroid article talked about Samsung recently selling refurbished phones direct?...Part of me is wondering if the whole battery thing was a conspiracy, for them to garner more revenue selling refurbished Note 7's later!

http://phandroid.com/2016/09/02/samsung-selling-refurbished-smartphones/

lol, you sound as cynical as me. I can see them doing this to make sure they're ahead of iPhone when it comes to sales, but I'm not sure they'd risk their image with this issue to increase their sales.

But I don't mind a good conspiracy so, what if the U.S. government is trying to secure more market share for Apple ahead of them moving a lot of cash back into the U.S. http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/01/technology/apple-tax-cook-repatriation/ They tell Samsung that they need to manufacture a defect in their latest offering because they want some market share to go towards the iPhone, and in return the U.S. will give Samsung some future considerations since Uncle Sam is going to get paid via the taxing of all that money that Apple has offshore to avoid taxes? I still don't understand how so many people are ok with Apple holding so much money offshores to avoid paying taxes. /tinfoil hat

What carrier are you with? My Verizon store only offers to let me exchange for a different phone. No loaners are on offer.

You can always see if they'll give you a basic smartphone (one of the freebies) and ask if they'll take it back within the 14-15 grace period and have them wave the restocking fee. If you really want to be sneaky about it, you can tell them that the phone gets hot during charging and that you don't feel safe with it. That should be enough for any competent manager to offer some sort of loaner for you. When I worked for Apple, we had some safety words (no not like kinky couples have) that would give us more latitude with addressing customer concerns. Those words were "burn, cut, shock". When a customer would mention those words, we'd try to get them to an Apple store ASAP.

Reactions: jadmorffier
Upvote 0
lol, you sound as cynical as me. I can see them doing this to make sure they're ahead of iPhone when it comes to sales, but I'm not sure they'd risk their image with this issue to increase their sales.

But I don't mind a good conspiracy so, what if the U.S. government is trying to secure more market share for Apple ahead of them moving a lot of cash back into the U.S. http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/01/technology/apple-tax-cook-repatriation/ They tell Samsung that they need to manufacture a defect in their latest offering because they want some market share to go towards the iPhone, and in return the U.S. will give Samsung some future considerations since Uncle Sam is going to get paid via the taxing of all that money that Apple has offshore to avoid taxes? I still don't understand how so many people are ok with Apple holding so much money offshores to avoid paying taxes. /tinfoil hat

You can always see if they'll give you a basic smartphone (one of the freebies) and ask if they'll take it back within the 14-15 grace period and have them wave the restocking fee. If you really want to be sneaky about it, you can tell them that the phone gets hot during charging and that you don't feel safe with it. That should be enough for any competent manager to offer some sort of loaner for you. When I worked for Apple, we had some safety words (no not like kinky couples have) that would give us more latitude with addressing customer concerns. Those words were "burn, cut, shock". When a customer would mention those words, we'd try to get them to an Apple store ASAP.

Haha...just got me thinking and looking at the bigger picture w/ this recall. There have been incidents of phones having issues in the past, when it comes to "explosions" or "overheating," but considering that such a small amount out of the multi-millions of phones actually had issues...just seems like a way they could double u on the blemish and use it to garner that extra bit of revenue to make up for last year.

Upvote 0
Haha...just got me thinking and looking at the bigger picture w/ this recall. There have been incidents of phones having issues in the past, when it comes to "explosions" or "overheating," but considering that such a small amount out of the multi-millions of phones actually had issues...just seems like a way they could double u on the blemish and use it to garner that extra bit of revenue to make up for last year.

This has been an entertaining chain of posts to read :)

So from now on, the Note 7's that originally came with the bad batteries shall forever be named the Note 6.
Your Note 7 will be arriving in a few weeks, whenever the replacement devices get shipped out. :D

Upvote 0

So from now on, the Note 7's that originally came with the bad batteries shall forever be named the Note 6.
Your Note 7 will be arriving in a few weeks, whenever the replacement devices get shipped out. :D
And by Note7's you mean refurbished Note 6's right? [emoji6]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wait, shouldn't they be called NOTE 7.5 since they are somewhat of a NEW version? This should eliminate any confusion as to who has decided to exchange from those who opt to keep the original regardless of the potential hazard.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I went from the iPhone 6 Plus to the Note 4 almost two years ago. I never looked back. Don't let this trouble you.
You got that right!

iPhone has once again rolled out their iPhone 7 with a mere bragging right of a better camera and being faster than any other 'iPhone'. LOL - what a joke!

Oh, the sheep have once again been dished the usual crap!

applesheep.jpg

applemotto.jpg

Reactions: jadmorffier
Upvote 0
You got that right!

iPhone has once again rolled out their iPhone 7 with a mere bragging right of a better camera and being faster than any other 'iPhone'. LOL - what a joke!

applesheep.jpg

applemotto.jpg

I went from iPhone 4 to galaxy s3 a few years ago and would never go back. Apple conning people with being faster than the last got very old. At least now I have a choice.

And taking away the headphone jack this time is a laughable decision.

Upvote 0
You got that right!

applesheep.jpg

applemotto.jpg
You got that right. As I said elsewhere here, no QHD screen, no change to ppi, no quick charge, no wireless charge, no expandable storage, no sPen, no Always On Display, no headphone jack... no thank you.

Reactions: kokiangel
Upvote 0
This whole recall/exchange thing is about as organized as a soup sandwich... o_O
I totally agree. Samsung says they will be available next week Verizon says they don't know when they would be available no one knows what's going on. Verizon sent me to Samsung sent me back to Verizon now Verizon wants me to turn in my Note 7. Not happening. Tried to sell me on, you shouldn't have to pay for a device you can't use. B.s.

Reactions: GeekInTraining
Upvote 0
All I want is a new, non-flammable Note 7. So I go to the Samsung website and it says to contact the carrier. Okay, so I call Verizon and they say call Samsung's toll-free number. So I call the toll-free number and they tell me to go to the retailer. So I call Sam's Club and they said, "Well, according to the Samsung website..." :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones