So can we do this?

Last Updated:

1. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK,

So I am stuck with a phone that I hate and would like to get a droid. I have just over a year on my 2 year plan. My mom is on month-month and wants to re-up for a better deal but wants to keep her phone...

So, could we re-up her with a droid, activate it, then put her old phone back on the plan and I activate her droid on my account? I know this could be done in the past, but since they now require data plans on these phones, are they including them in the 2 year contract. Or are data plans still independent of the contract? I have looked at picking one up on craig's list but people want too much for something with no warranty. I can take hers and still get a square trade warranty..

Anyone done something like this before?

Advertisement
  2. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Yes they can move the contract around. She wouldn't have to keep the data plan, but the higher etf would be tied to her line I believe. If you don't plan on cancelling not a problem assuming this is a family plan.

3. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

I would talk to a verizon employee before trying. I'd bet they'd do it because they should get their commission and verizon will make an extra $30 per month for you to start a data plan.

If the N1 or Incredible comes out soon you will probably see some droids on craigslist as well.

4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Your best bet is to wait for some newer phones to come out. This summer a bunch of great phone are coming for the cdma networks. Even if you still want a droid, droid prices will plummit when the new phones hit.

5. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

Well, if my local Verizon store is any indication, they have no qualms about moving the re-up between people as long as they get a 2 year contract. I did pretty much what you're contemplating, but it was actually much easier. I went into Verizon to get a Droid, and they just used the existing re-up for someone else on our account to give me the discount, but put my number on the phone. Technically, the other person has a new 2 year contract, but I've got the phone. And yes, the data plan is part of the 2 year contract. I don't think they allow Droids to be sold without a data plan.