• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So chicks dont use Androids?

When I posted this a few months ago, I had the only Android in my workplace. Now in a company of all female employees ... 8 of them have Androids (6 HTC desires, a wildfire and an experia Mini.
That must say something about Androids popularity.

Nice, seems like you converted a number of your colleagues to the Android ways ;) I don't know any other females with Android. Although I'm talking one into upgrading from her dumb phone to the SGS2 :D

Upvote 0
At work I do pc support so I see everyone's desk at some point, On our call center floor here at work ($14ish/hour people) it seems like among the ladies there's 1/3 dumbphones 1/3 iphones 1/3 androids (usually evo). These are completely non-techy people and I get the idea that a lot of them have an android just because it looks and functions somewhat like an iphone but they couldn't afford an iphone.

Outside of work, people my wife and I know, the ladies have a dumbphone or an iphone, that's it. The ones with a dumbphone want an iphone and are using a dumbphone probably cause they've lost/broken too many iphones.

I've never seen anyone using a blackberry that wasn't given to them at work. (and we all have our personal android or iphone in our other pocket)

Upvote 0
it seems like among the ladies there's 1/3 dumbphones 1/3 iphones 1/3 androids (usually evo). These are completely non-techy people and I get the idea that a lot of them have an android just because it looks and functions somewhat like an iphone but they couldn't afford an iphone.

Not true, high end Android phones cost as much as iPhones. I got my Atrix off contract and that's $700. Not something that I'd say is 'cheap', unless that's what you would considered as cheap. If you're getting it ON a contract, it's $200-300, comparable to the iPhone's contract price.If you're getting a smart phone on contract, you're required a data plan. All data plan is the same for iPhone and Android phone.

There are cheap Android phones, but saying that if a woman owns an Android, it simply means they can NOT afford an iPhone is COMPLETELY wrong! If those woman with Android phones are EVO, that means they are with Sprint. Only TWO carriers carry iPhones. The first is AT&T and the other is with Verizon. Verizon only started carrying iPhones late Q3 of 2010. So if you are on Sprint or TMobile or you had your phone on Verizon prior to Q3 2010, then you don't have an option to get an iPhone.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
There are cheap Android phones, but saying that if a woman owns an Android, it simply means they can NOT afford an iPhone is COMPLETELY wrong! If those woman with Android phones are EVO, that means they are with Sprint. Only TWO carriers carry iPhones. The first is AT&T and the other is with Verizon. Verizon only started carrying iPhones late Q3 of 2010. So if you are on Sprint or TMobile or you had your phone on Verizon prior to Q3 2010, then you don't have an option to get an iPhone.

I thought sprint was way cheaper than at&t? and other than evos they are all phones i don't recognize so probably the cheap cricket/us cell/virgin/boost ones. AT&T has had the bravo contract-priced for $50 for quite a while, used to be $99 for captivate now $99 or less for inspire. Didn't iphones until recently only have 1 $40/month data plan choice?

At any rate, it's my opinion that if one is making $14 an hour and choosing to have post-paid contractual mobile service with a data plan and a smartphone (minimun $75-100ish/mo?) one is probably thinking with something other than a conservative financial part of their brain. It would be a phone/gadget geek part of the brain that loves to play with this stuff despite the cost or it could be a fit in with my richer friends part of the brain. Guess which one I think it is? And it's really only the tiniest bit of sexism goes into making me say that. Men are definitely like that too, I know a whole lot more guys who buy iproducts to fit in and have something that "just works" than guys who buy android ones cause they like to geek out on it. It's just that women are just a little bit more so. Plus I hardly work with any men and I know these people and I know they aren't setting up tasker jobs and looking on xda for hacked netflix apks. (not that the evo ones would need to)

Upvote 0
At any rate, it's my opinion that if one is making $14 an hour and choosing to have post-paid contractual mobile service with a data plan and a smartphone (minimun $75-100ish/mo?) one is probably thinking with something other than a conservative finacial part of their brain.

Depends on where you live. Where I'm currently located (Shreveport, La), $14/hour for a single person is a nice living. You can OWN your own home, have a new car, and still have cash to spare. I did it on $15.94/hour.

I make considerably more now, and have a wife, a child, and a second on the way to support. But, if I were single in this area, $14/hour would still be more than sufficient. Now, California, on the other hand...

Upvote 0
I thought sprint was way cheaper than at&t? and other than evos they are all phones i don't recognize so probably the cheap cricket/us cell/virgin/boost ones. AT&T has had the bravo contract-priced for $50 for quite a while, used to be $99 for captivate now $99 or less for inspire. Didn't iphones until recently only have 1 $40/month data plan choice?

I believe when AT&T still had unlimited data plan, it was $30 across phones.

Verizon unlimited data was $30

Sprint unlimited data is $30 (4G) <--this is taking their plans with unlimited data and comparing it to one without to find the difference.

At any rate, it's my opinion that if one is making $14 an hour and choosing to have post-paid contractual mobile service with a data plan and a smartphone (minimun $75-100ish/mo?) one is probably thinking with something other than a conservative financial part of their brain. It would be a phone/gadget geek part of the brain that loves to play with this stuff despite the cost

Oh that's me :D I JUST LOVE MAH ANDROID!

Upvote 0
I have to say, I know the Android world, as well as this thread, drips testosterone, but the way I'm seeing women represented and discussed in this thread is rather upsetting. We are not all stupid. We are all not using Android phones because iPhones are too expensive (that one really blew me away), and we're not articles to be referred to by the use of the term 'the'. There are men out there who can barely answer their cell phones, too - and who can't text, or would not even consider going to a smartphone of any sort, because it's over their head. Yes, men are the majority in the Android world, but not because of their vast superiority. They are encouraged at a young age to be technically savvy in many areas - and some of us 'chicks' just didn't take no for an answer. So before you make any more assumptions about what kind of phone I have in my purse, remember you just can't tell a book by its cover (and mine is blonde......) ;)

Upvote 0
Most of the women I know who use an Android phone don't even realize it's an Android phone. They think it's just a cheap iPhone knockoff that they got for cheap. Most think that the only Android devices are the "Droids" that Verizon sells.

You mean this $250 device isn't a giant iPhone?! I'm returning it!

PS: The women you know aren't very bright it seems. You know what they say about the company you keep...

Upvote 0
The marketing of Android does turn me off. I don't think it is geared toward men mostly, but the geek culture.

In any case, I buy and use what suits me. I dont care what gender it is for, who the ads target or what the product says about me. I also don't have the mentality that I see alot of males have, the mine Is better than yours. If the next iphone does what I like, I'll get it. I don't blindly hate a brand because it is popular. That's silly.

Upvote 0
the majority of girls at my school use android OS, lecturers and students alike.

it is a common belief there, that apple iOS is more suitable as an enterprise solution, whereas android OS is primarily designed for home users.
the common consensus is that iOS is more stable, and more secure natively. it is also implied that android OS inherently infringes ones privacy, or at least to a greater degree.

there are no blackberry users whatsoever, but it is a small school.
this may also be the result of a smaller market share here proportionally, in relation to other countries worldwide.

our network administration lecturer is female, and old enough to be my oma. she is by far the most knowledgeable lecturer here, and is almost everyones favorite. the remainder of females at the school, both lecturers and students, are equally as capable as their male counterpart.

if the manufacturers of telecommunications handsets prescribe to sexist beliefs, and this is seemingly evident in their advertising motifs, then i believe they would be wise to modify their approach.

i have not noticed this personally, however with threads like this attracting the attention of end users, they may benefit from changing their tune sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
I have a hot latino fiance and she has an evo (that I got her by the way). But she has been askin for this phone every since I had my OG Droid and showed her how cool android was. She didnt want to leave sprint so I got her the best android they had to offer. There is definitely a lot of chicks (ladys) that use android, and hot 1's at that.

Upvote 0
^--- to all : I hope y'all got these lady friends of yours to join Android Forums :D
We need to represent here.

From last year, since I joined to this year, The have noticed a higher number of female members. Which is just lovely.

Some of them won't though. Lol. I have tried to get my wife to join the Android Forums, and she just calls me a nerd. I guess that's what i get for reading Android news pretty much any time i have a free second.

I know a ton of males, and females with Android phones, and more than half of them just call it a "droid" and don't know what version of Android they are running. So many people ask me questions related to Android at work and seriously at least 25% of them didn't even know that they have a Google device. They always say "What? Android is by Google?" And about another 10% don't even know what phone they have.

To get to the point, no matter male or female the average user typically doesn't know anything about the OS they are running. Most people are influenced by what's popular, or what they see the most commercials for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones