• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So chicks dont use Androids?

Some of them won't though. Lol. I have tried to get my wife to join the Android Forums, and she just calls me a nerd. I guess that's what i get for reading Android news pretty much any time i have a free second.
*wonders what you'd call the chicks on AF*

I don't think really think I can be thought of as a Nerd...

*denies denies denies*

Upvote 0
I think there's still a misconception that one has to be technically savvy to enjoy Android phones. I'm not and I still love my Desire and enjoy the user experience more than iOS (iphone is still a great phone). There must be a ton of men and chicks in the same boat as me.

NB. I have rooted and flashed custom roms, kernels, radios and boot tables on my phone but that was out of necessity not a desire to tinker. I enjoyed android without those things too.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I think there's still a misconception that one has to be technically savvy to enjoy Android phones. I'm not and I still love my Desire and enjoy the user experience more than iOS (iphone is still a great phone). There must be a ton of men and chicks in the same boat as me.

NB. I have rooted and flashed custom roms, kernels, radios and boot tables on my phone but that was out of necessity not a desire to tinker. I enjoyed android without those things too.

This is so true. The beauty of Android is it can be as simple or as complex as you want. My kids mother isnt the least bit tech savvy, but she loved my Droid X1 so much and knew how to use it enough that she wasnt calling me every 10 minutes for help. She finally gave it back and now she wants her own Android phone. She doent know the first thing about rooting or root apps.

Someone stole her Blackberry about 3 months ago....yea thats how long she had my phone hostage...

Upvote 0

But whenever I see an android phone that's not rooted, I get an urge to root and flash custom roms on it. Somehow it just feels like a waste of potential.

Upvote 0
Nice, seems like you converted a number of your colleagues to the Android ways ;) I don't know any other females with Android. Although I'm talking one into upgrading from her dumb phone to the SGS2 :D

Many of the females I meet have androids. Also most of my android phone sales are to females. They arent as cought up with techy specs though.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that statistics and marketing are two of the biggest methods of spreading BS. Statistics are only worth what the researcher wants to demonstrate and the methods they use. Marketing only wants to sell and will use whatever method makes it happen. Neither reflects reality.
This is the best explanation I've ever heard about the marketing and statistics topics.

And, several of the folks I help with theming are women who are deep into android.. one is a themer and another is learning to make ROMs.

Upvote 0
Many of the females I meet have androids. Also most of my android phone sales are to females. They arent as cought up with techy specs though.

Oddly enough, I am all about the specs. My first Android was a Nexus One. It was the best phone out at the time. I had a feature touch phone that I lost so I was researching on what phones I should get. I have a thing for phones and just seeing how much it has evolved. I read reviews on some of the older Android phones (Magic/hero/ G1). And I realise that if I wanted the best Android experience, I needed one with the best spec available :)

I can honestly say that I am an Android addict, lol.

Upvote 0
Oddly enough, I am all about the specs. My first Android was a Nexus One. It was the best phone out at the time. I had a feature touch phone that I lost so I was researching on what phones I should get. I have a thing for phones and just seeing how much it has evolved. I read reviews on some of the older Android phones (Magic/hero/ G1). And I realise that if I wanted the best Android experience, I needed one with the best spec available :)

I can honestly say that I am an Android addict, lol.

I may have worded that post wrong...I didn't mean none of them were techy(in fact neither are most of the guys I know with android.) What I meant was most average android users I have met(male or female) care most about what os, not necessarily how well it can run said os. But then there are some that are more budget conscious and are fine buying a behold 2, or mt3g, slide etc...

Upvote 0
I'm a bloke and still slightly bemused by the whole Android experience, but, with the great help I'm getting on here it's not so daunting. Just wish i had come across this site before my upgrade, as i'm thinking my Desire (whilst i think it's pretty amazing) is getting long in the tooth and would appear pretty limited growth wise.

Still, i have it for the next 24 months and there'll no doubt be vast improvements.

When this time comes what fundamental things/specs should i look for or demand from my next droid?...

Upvote 0
android girl here :) when my niece was getting a new phone last year, my brother (her dad) was really pushing her to get an iphone like he has. she was almost convinced until she took one look at my evo and decided to go with android. my brother is still mad at me for that...
That's because it's been shown to him his daughter is more techie than he is - and has a better phone!
gig.gif

Upvote 0
I don't believe my husband could even use an Iphone.

I put the Galaxy 3 in his office so he could hear kid call on Skype. He couldn't figure out how to answer the call. The phone does ring when it shouldn't, but the kid's icon on Skype isn't green. The touchscreen just baffles him.

I think an Iphone would stymie him totally. Some dudes shouldn't use Android.

He's using an old Nokia 6086 flip phone. Plus he's an EE and simply has no curiosity about how the touchscreen works. He also put in a phone call to my office when I got him his first cell phone. He wanted to know how to answer it! Since there are a couple of ways, I told him to either RTFM, or ask daughter. He finally figured it out.

Upvote 0
I don't believe my husband could even use an Iphone.

I put the Galaxy 3 in his office so he could hear kid call on Skype. He couldn't figure out how to answer the call. The phone does ring when it shouldn't, but the kid's icon on Skype isn't green. The touchscreen just baffles him.

I think an Iphone would stymie him totally. Some dudes shouldn't use Android.

He's using an old Nokia 6086 flip phone. Plus he's an EE and simply has no curiosity about how the touchscreen works. He also put in a phone call to my office when I got him his first cell phone. He wanted to know how to answer it! Since there are a couple of ways, I told him to either RTFM, or ask daughter. He finally figured it out.
My husband is going to inherit the Captivate when the Attain comes out - and I'm afraid of the learning curve.....he's on an old Sony Erickson clamshell still, but it's dying. He isn't very technical at all, so I'm thinking of getting him all set up with bone stock Serendipity VII and leaving it that way, wiping out all of my mods. He doesn't care what it looks like, he just wants a functioning phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones