So did i miss the "big news"?

Last Updated:

1. Roddy

Roddy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has the big news been announced between Sprint and LG? Only thing I saw from CES was the 3g/4g wifi modem and the Moment's ablity to stream tv.

Advertisement
  2. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

No news is bad news.

3. sfox

sfox Member

So I'm not the only one who is horribly disappointed, yet not surprised, with the lack of technology being introduced for Sprint at CES? I have to say, my wife has a Pre and the announcement of the Pre Plus on Verizon really hacked me off. This coupled with the INCREDIBLY soft date of 1h2010 for the 2.1 release is just about all I can take. I've been a sprint customer for around 12 years....it may be time to move on to a carrier that is still trying to lead the industry.

S

4. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

Sounds like you really need to get a contract with each carrier

Bottom line is.... it's a Phone

5. sfox

sfox Member

Nope, Verizon, T-Mobile and At&T at least seem to be trying....Sprint doesn't even seem to be in the game anymore to a certain extent. Name something lately were they have led the way technology wise...the Pre?

Yes and no. For many people it's a significant instrument for carrying out their daily life...and one of the few "toys" I personally carry anymore. But the point is more, if Sprint can't maintain the latest and greatest...or at least be second-best, maybe it's time to find another carrier that's putting in a little effort.

S

6. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

Good luck elsewhere, I'm pretty sure you will end up unhappy wherever you land

I the question you need to ask is....

What kept me here for 12 years?

I'm pretty sure it was not the "latest and greatest" hardware

7. sfox

sfox Member

Never said I was unhappy...I actually think the coverage in my area is good. As I said, disappointed with the lack of a commitment to being a leader. Enough so that it may be worth thinking about making a change to a carrier that still seems competitive. Sorry for not being a Sprint fanboy.

S

8. sfox

sfox Member

Actually, until a few years ago, Sprint seemed like they were still trying.

S

9. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

Give verizon a shot. I've been using them for about 6 years now (came from Cingular/ATT) and I have never been unhappy with my service or customer service...and now that the droid finally came out I also have a good device that does everything I need...I'm no longer sad about the lack of iPhone.

10. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

Evidently Sprint wants to become a data only company. Only announcement was a 4G mobile hotspot. They could have at least released a POS phone. But nothing to date.

11. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Luckily there were a lot of cool updates to the Pre announced at the Palm conference so I should at least be keeping busy with that for a while. Still I was very disappointed that no new handsets were really announced. It would have been nice to at least get a preview of whatever this year's flagship device is going to be.

I will likely stay with them for now since I still can't find a phone/plan combo to beat what I have now (I like the Nexus better than Pre but the lack of family plans greatly increases price). At least they finally started putting out GPU-enabled apps and we will be getting Flash and video recording next month. Hopefully by the time my 1-year premiere re-up rolls around there will be a worthy successor.

12. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

Could it be they are holding their cards till they can release a 4G phone?

13. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

a 4g phone helps an extremely minimal amount of people in a minimal geographic areas. While an announcement would be cool, it would just alienate 70% of the country if not more. At the moment the Nexus One is the only somewhat perfect Android phone, and that's only if you are fine with an onscreen keyboard. Sprint is only a few months into their Android phones, and I doubt you'll see any announcement of a new Android phone until after they get their current two up and running with 2.1.

I would think an announcement of something like the N1 would just hurt current Android sales as people would sit back and wait. Would think that you won't hear an announcement from Sprint on a new Android phone until the Hero has been out for about 6 months. Doesn't mean you won't get leaked info from other sources before that though.

As far as 4g, gsm and verizon. Both Verizon and AT&T are going with LTE for 4g. Doesn't mean Verizon is abandoning CDMA, and they are also far behind Sprint in getting the network up and running. But with more carriers behind LTE, Sprint really needs to get as much 4g coverage as possible and capitalize on that head start.

14. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

sprints phones are just fine. Jesus. Tp2 moment hero a slew of bbs

15. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

When we were using the 'just released' Hero on Sprint, what Android phone was the Verizon subscribers using? (none); How about AT&T? (none, still none); T-Mobile was the only USA provider to beat Sprint to market on the Android. T-Mobile was a very early adopter.

Which provider was first with an all-everything plan? Which was first with free mobile to mobile (any and all mobile)?

If Google had released the N1 to Sprint first, people would be crying that Google is so stupid. But since Sprint wasn't the first to get the N1, "Sprint is no longer trying to lead".

People are also complaining about Sprint bringing G4 to market, the same thing happened with the G3. Which do you now use, the G3 I bet. I will gladly use the G4.

16. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

There still is Barcelona next month...