So Epic 4G only has 1 GB Internal Memory?

Last Updated:

1. dyh

dyh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

or is that still a rumor? The only thing I've seen from today's Galaxy S event is this video where the presenter said 16 GB internal, but from what I understand it's different for each version:

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Launch Event

Edit: I also posted this in the new Epic 4G forums, so this post should probably be deleted.

Advertisement
  2. dyh

or is that still a rumor? The only thing I've seen from today's Galaxy S event is this video where the presenter said 16 GB internal, but from what I understand it's different for each version:

YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S Launch Event

3. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

Yeah from what I have seen its only 1GB internal, with microSD expandable to 32GB.

4. The AwesomeSauce Show

The AwesomeSauce Show Member

It has 1gig for rom and 512 for ram(or was it the other way around?). And from what I read on some websites, it will have an included 32gig micro sd, but I'm not sure since micro sdhc are only sold in 16 gig max.

5. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

It comes with a 16gb micro sd card, not 32.

6. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Tmo version has 16gb built in, but no flash and no keyboard.

This would be the most complete device to date, if it had the 16gb.

Verizon gets 2gb, but no keyboard.

Samsung spread features out too much. I probably would not buy it anyways, unless they have improved their radio reception from previous devices and more reliable with updates. 2.2 will be a long ways coming and probably nothing after that. At least Sammy stated 2.2 is coming. Just not- when ;)

7. cds0699

cds0699 Well-Known Member

8. dyh

Disappointing, I don't understand why they couldn't put it inside, especially if some of the other models have it and they advertised 16 GB internal.

9. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

And htc and Motorola are so much better at pusing out updates??? The only phone I can think of that Motorola has updated was the Droid. The backflip and cliq are not even at 2.1 yet. Also, the Moment got 2.1 earlier than the htc Hero did (both on Sprint).

The behold 2, cant argue that one lol

10. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

Samsung already released the Kernal for the Samsung Galaxy S where's the Evo's?

11. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

16GB is for the international Samsung version. The carrier versions all have different options because that is what the carriers wanted.

12. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I was kind of hoping for at least 8 gigs of internal memory plus my already purchased 16 gig card :(

13. miamithrice

miamithrice Active Member

32 gigs of microSD storage is more than I think I will ever need in terms of storage so I'm not concerned over sheer room as I am concerned for another reason. I simply assumed that the epic's video recording capabilities would be similar to the galaxy s but that might not necessarily be the case. The biggest difference between internal memory and microSD memory is the write speed. If the transfer rate between the camera and microSD card can't keep up with the bitrate @ 720p wouldn't the phone need to compress the heck out of it similar to the evo (and i know first-hand of the rubbish that the evo tries to pass off as "high-def" video). The galaxy doesn't have to worry about this as it has plenty of internal memory. Any thoughts on this? This is my only serious hang-up an otherwise brilliant (seemingly) device.

14. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

I'm old enough to remember what Bill Gates once said

"All you will ever need is an 8 Mhz processor and a 30 megabyte hard drive".

15. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

If you look at the PCB boards inside the phone, you'll see why they couldnt put all the features in it: its just too small!

The carrier had to pick whether they want extra memory or LED flash/ FFC camera.

16. pkulak

pkulak Well-Known Member

17. pkulak

pkulak Well-Known Member

They make 1080p camcorders that write to removable flash media, and they seem to do alright. Of course, they use SDHC, so I'm not sure if that is more performant.

18. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

What do you think Micro SD cards are? Anything over 2 or 4gb (I forget which) is labeled Micro SDHC, the HC only stands for high capacity, nothing to do with speed.

Back in '97 that was the equivalent of say 4 or 6GB of RAM, so he was correct (at the time).

19. pkulak

pkulak Well-Known Member

I didn't say micro.

20. Kittyfae

Kittyfae Well-Known Member

Still, SDHC is anything above 2GB(or 1GB per wikipedia, et al. I have a MMCPlus 1GB card though. XD) of SD storage (any kind, SD... MiniSD... MicroSD). There is some (up to) 4GB non-SDHC that use some clever formatting (etc), however. Still, the basic rule applies. The thing you have to look as is the "Class" number, it roughly corresponds to write speed. So a Class 4 (x)SD card would be 4MB/sec (32Mbit/sec) write speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speeds

21. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

He never said it, how was he "correct (at the time)"?

22. awesomecomb

awesomecomb Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn't know. You'd seem much less a dick if you just explained micro SD cards.

23. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

I thought Sprint announced that 2.2 will be coming out in September?

And I don't know about the "nothing after that" bit, these phones are going to be on every carrier and also overseas. Samsung is rolling out an entire lineup of accessories. I think we will be getting, at the very least, the next update after 2.2.

24. Squiggoth

Squiggoth Well-Known Member

Internal Sprint comparison PDF confirms 1gig ROM, 512meg RAM, 16gig SD card included.

One interesting point is they say their FFC is VGA which is supposed to be better than the Evo's 1.3MP camera? I don't know much about cameras -- I thought people were whining VGA was worse? I dunno.

And one last interesting note: it says Android 2.1 for the OS but it does have (upgradable) after it.

25. TheNewNetwork

TheNewNetwork Active Member

I am not sure about the higher quality in the FFC but I do know that many reviews have stated the Galaxy S phones taking better pictures than the Evo despite the smaller camera. (5MP vs 8MP)

I figure this is because Samsung is an electronics company that makes cameras also so they have experience with it more than HTC which is just a phone manufacturer.