So google maps is good.. When I have receptionSupport

Last Updated:

1. parri1l

parri1l Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was in the U.P. of Michigan over the fourth. Even though we had been there a hundred times I still wanted to test out my Google Navigation on my phone and get a feel for it. I became disappointed when I realized that indeed that map information is dl on the go. The minute I lost reception, which did happen in certain stretches of the great outdoors, a pop up would tell me no more maps for you because there is no reception. I thought to be lame as the gps was chugging along.
    Then I thought about and wondered if there was a good gps navigation app on app-brain. I did not find one that came right up. Quick search here did not turn up much on the forum. So is there something im missing in the settings or is that just the way Google maps is going to be. If so, is there a kick ass 3rd party app tomtom or something. Thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member

3. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

Yeah I feel ya. I hit a dead spot once while trying a back woods way home. Thankfully I knew where I needed to go and kicked it old school and used road signs to get me home. I had the Winmo Garmin app on my last phone and it was great. Just as good as their stand-alone devices.

I also have a Garmin device that I got years ago. I now take it with me when I know I'm going beyond what I know. I use the Dinc for simple things like finding gas or food but take the Garmin when I need to get from County-A to County-B.

4. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

Try CoPilot Live. It's maps are all offline. I've heard good things about it, but never tried it. The drawback is it costs $29.99.

5. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

I use Co-pilot live and works just as well as Garmin did on my Omnia, but tbh most times I use Google maps, nver had a signal problem

6. tcaggie24

tcaggie24 Member

Losing GPS signals? How can that be? The signals come from sats.... I haven't used my Inc for navigation yet, however, I would think GPS signals would be available regardless of whether or not there is phone service.

7. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member

with the massive amount of memory as well as expandable memory this phone has, is it not possible to have Google release something so we can put it on the phone rather than having it download it over the air?

8. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

The problem is that Google maps downloads the maps on the fly. He's not losing GPS lock, he has no map to show his position on.

9. Nolesfan

Nolesfan Well-Known Member

Looks like Navigon is working on one.

10. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

He's not losing GPS signal, he's losing 3G/1X/EVDO signal. The maps program knows his GPS location, it's just unable to show him a map of where he's at because it downloads the terrain and roads on the fly.

11. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

If you just need off line maps but not full fledged navigation I use Maverick and OruxMaps. They work beautifully. Maverick is my favorite though as it auto-caches when you have signal and it not strictly dependent upon a desktop program. As soon as Maverick does topo I will delete Orux.

12. rcicu

rcicu Well-Known Member

I would say Co-Pilot! Out of all the offline Navi Apps for android it works the best.

13. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

Yeah but $30 for an app sets off my Fail-o-Meter. If I can see the map in Maverick, I don't need turn by turn when I'm out of service.