So, have most of the Froyo problems been worked out now?

Last Updated:

1. musikat

musikat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I must be one of the last hold-outs on the update here! :lol I keep getting the message every day and keep hitting ignore. But I wonder, are the issues people have had (slow browser, bad battery life, etc.) mostly resolved by now?

I don't plan to root and I just want a phone that works well, which it does currently. Advice?

Advertisement
  2. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

The phone works. Battery life to me is not as good as 2.1 but it does ok to get through most days. The browser is only slow to scroll during the loading on some pages. It works as good as it did before once it is loaded up. The keyboard is way better but i still use the ime mod cause you can space the keys out to prevent fat finger typing. Really there is no reason not to update.

In fact, if you play hyper jump, it now has all sound fx playing properly.

3. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I never had any problems to begin with.

4. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

uh i would root first though. currently no way to root 2.2

5. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

For the slow browsing part, just change the plugin settings to On demand rather than have it always on. But as far as problems go, the only problem I'm having is charging/sleeping while plugged into PC, AC adapter/wall is fine though. Yesterday for some reason my battery went to Red, I saw today 4G was turned on, don't remember turning that on. Anyways, I plugged my Evo in after 10 PM last night, I wake up today around 11, 12, and the light was still orange, but all battery bars/meter were full, and finally half hour later light turned green. Gotta be something with the USB and PC together. Other than that no problems. Been plugged in since 10 something last night, Up time: 17:10:xx, Awake time: 17:10:xx.

6. teky

teky Well-Known Member

I never had any 'Froyo' problems...I did the 'unofficial upgrade' then got back on the official track and I've never had a problem. Some apps have had problems, but that's because the devs goofed. Everything is working fine.

7. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

Nope still happens on pages like engadget even if you set to on demand... It use to scroll smoothly on partial load but now it literally sticks you there until it's done...

Still no biggie...

Charging on the PC is always slower... Wall plugs charge at a faster rate...

8. digitalzombie

digitalzombie Well-Known Member

I'm still having the problem of incoming calls while already on a call not showing any contact info other than the number. Pretty annoying, but I haven't noticed any other problems personally.

9. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

Nope...slow browser scrolling and even though I can choose on demand, i shouldnt have to. Also the calendar bug needs to be fixed. Other than that everything is good.

10. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

It isn't slow once loaded up fully tho right? Cause mine is fine if not smoother once it's fully loaded...

11. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

It's very spotty and only happens primarily on forums and some random sites. No rhyme or reason. This is with the page partially or completely loaded

12. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

Give me a link to a site that has problems fully loaded, I've never seen one with issue with loading completed...

Engadget however is very evident during loading how jerky it can be with on demand flash...

13. hendodo

hendodo Well-Known Member

Dont do it! Stay where u at...nothing but issues with froyo

CJO likes this.
  14. musikat

Thanks Hendodo. What about the rest of you. Would you do it again, knowing what you know now? Was it worth it?

15. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

no regrets. none.

16. Esab

Esab Member

I am very happy with Froyo. I have been unplugged for 13 hours, minor web surfing (5-7 pages). minor video on atdhe, emails, a few calls and I am sitting at 73%. Before Froyo, battery would be at 20% or less leaving from work (5 hours ago). I used to use the car charger on the way home just in case. Now I don't worry too much about that. I keep GPS on, in 3g area, no wifi or 4g on.

I have not experienced any of the major issues people post about other than the pain of upgrading that took a little bit of work cause of unrevoked3. My wife's EVO, not rooted, was smooth and has the same battery longevity now also. Before she would have dead battery by 3pm and HAVE to charge. Now hers last all day like mine.

BenChase7 likes this.
  17. taylor7667

taylor7667 Active Member

I finally updated to FroYo yesterday. I was concerned after reading on this site about issues. I had the original Eclair 2.1 and was never rooted. Since the update I have no problems whatsoever. In my opinion there are two major advantages to updating to FroYo: 1. Saving apps to the SD card and 2. Flash.

18. jparker71

jparker71 Well-Known Member

These are the two reasons I'd do it again in a second.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Well-Known Member

I'm not out of memory, and flash light on 2.1 provides most of what I care about from flash. The calendar bug alone is reason for me not to upgrade.

shuiheart likes this.
  20. Slick1020

Slick1020 Banned

Are you crazy? Eclair is 10 times slower than than Froyo. The responsiveness is mind blowing. A bug with the calendar or Froyo?

21. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

22. musikat

If I don't update will it cause me any issues down the road? Prevent me from doing future updates or anything else?

23. 81_

81_ Banned

Froyo isn't 10 times faster....it might be a little faster, but not really noticable.

flash is nice, but like others have said, run it on demand. no need to load crap that you don't care to look at.

the biggest downside to froyo is spint locks the internet sharing option when you plug into your pc

24. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

Maybe yes maybe no, because no one here will know if we even get more updates...

25. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

I cannot view pictures in my HDTV, still..

Once I was "out of memory" and I had to do a reset to fix it.