• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, have most of the Froyo problems been worked out now?

Me. I regret 2.2. Battery still dramatically worse, 1% drain every other minute, dead sometimes in 2 hrs. Tried most all tricks, resets, etc.

Also on mine: Pandora now sounds cruddy (a known bug for some related to codec compression that is supposedly eventually to be fixed). The Pandora issue alone enough for me to regret updating.

Browser freezes more often.

I know I'm in the minority on worse batt life and I still like my Evo (dig the camera, the screen size, etc) just not in luv with it anymore.

Reactions: laney33
Upvote 0
Me. I regret 2.2. Battery still dramatically worse, 1% drain every other minute, dead sometimes in 2 hrs. Tried most all tricks, resets, etc.

Also on mine: Pandora now sounds cruddy (a known bug for some related to codec compression that is supposedly eventually to be fixed). The Pandora issue alone enough for me to regret updating.

I know I'm in the minority on worse batt life and I still like my Evo (dig the camera, the screen size, etc) just not in luv with it anymore.

Would you care to elaborate on tried _most_ all tricks, resets, etc to address battery life?

I would presume you've followed all advice here -

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

And perhaps Slick's roundup of battery tips?

1% per minute is beyond something not sleeping - you've gotten a process seriously spinning out of control somewhere.

Can't help with Pandora, other than to suggest last.fm in the interim...

Upvote 0
OP, I would seriously consider rooting.

I know you don't want to deal with it (I was the same) but since I did it I did not look back. I am currently on Fresh 3.1.0.1 ROM with Netarchy's Kernel 4.0.2 and my EVO is extremely fast (FPS over 50 and 1200 on quadrant with no overclocking) and the battery is very good (at least 24 hours with moderate use) + no Sprint Bloatware and many more advantages of which the most noticeable Free WiFi Tethering.

Rooted with the right Froyo ROM and Kernel (netarchy) the EVO really comes to life.
Also everything works including 4G, Camera, Comcorder, HDMI out now that HTC released their source code.

I was happy with 2.1 and had a perfectly working phone and was very afraid to make the switch but I'm so happy I took the plunge.Try it sometimes :)

Upvote 0

I wouldn't blame the battery on froyo, you obviously have other issues going on. Battery to me seems about the same. I can get around 16 hours of medium usage.

Upvote 0

The battery goes dead in 2 hours? Maybe it's the battery that's bad. That doesn't sound right at all, unless of course you're watching a movie that entire time with the phone unplugged.

Reactions: keoniii
Upvote 0
Would you care to elaborate on tried _most_ all tricks, resets, etc to address battery life?

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

1% per minute is beyond something not sleeping - you've gotten a process seriously spinning out of control somewhere.

I ran another test with "background data" unchecked and "enable on always mobile data" box unchecked. I'm still getting my normal 1% an hour drain on the battery. I started at 99% battery power and I dropped to 98% after an hour. Those boxes do not make a difference thus I leave them checked. Try it out sometime and tell me if you fair any differently.

Upvote 0
I ran another test with "background data" unchecked and "enable on always mobile data" box unchecked. I'm still getting my normal 1% an hour drain on the battery. I started at 99% battery power and I dropped to 98% after an hour. Those boxes do not make a difference thus I leave them checked. Try it out sometime and tell me if you fair any differently.

I do fair differently when those are checked. I'm running CallTrack and as I use my phone quite a bit, it's always wanting to sync my calls to my Call Log calendar that I've set up. I sync manually and I'm ok with that, otherwise the background data gets quite chatty in my configuration. I keep shortcuts to the Accounts & sync on my desktop and within QuickDesk so I can pop it on easily when needed, as well as a Sync All widget on my desktop.

I'm on a fringy kinda area and so the always on mobile data impact is higher when I'm there, but not so much in the city.

If I leave both on when working from my home office, I can see a measurable drop in battery life.

Upvote 0
I do fair differently when those are checked. I'm running CallTrack and as I use my phone quite a bit, it's always wanting to sync my calls to my Call Log calendar that I've set up. I sync manually and I'm ok with that, otherwise the background data gets quite chatty in my configuration. I keep shortcuts to the Accounts & sync on my desktop and within QuickDesk so I can pop it on easily when needed, as well as a Sync All widget on my desktop.

I'm on a fringy kinda area and so the always on mobile data impact is higher when I'm there, but not so much in the city.

If I leave both on when working from my home office, I can see a measurable drop in battery life.

Cool, that makes sense to me. And I think someone was under the impression my battery tips would give them like some WILD N CRAZY battery life or something. I have to tell people if you are on the internet for example say 4 hours. That's how long the stock battery will last doing nothing but browsing. I can go 6 hours with my 1750 mah battery doing nothing but browsing. A laptop will normally give you about 2 hours and 30 minutes of time off the charger. So I don't know why people think a phone can go longer having to work 10 times harder. The fact that the EVO doubles the life of a laptop while browsing should be enough.

Upvote 0
OP, I would seriously consider rooting.

I know you don't want to deal with it (I was the same) but since I did it I did not look back. I am currently on Fresh 3.1.0.1 ROM with Netarchy's Kernel 4.0.2 and my EVO is extremely fast (FPS over 50 and 1200 on quadrant with no overclocking) and the battery is very good (at least 24 hours with moderate use) + no Sprint Bloatware and many more advantages of which the most noticeable Free WiFi Tethering.

Rooted with the right Froyo ROM and Kernel (netarchy) the EVO really comes to life.
Also everything works including 4G, Camera, Comcorder, HDMI out now that HTC released their source code.

I was happy with 2.1 and had a perfectly working phone and was very afraid to make the switch but I'm so happy I took the plunge.Try it sometimes :)
Sounds like a great rom... I will probably give it a try this weekend...

Upvote 0

I was one of the people having worse battery life after the update. I was averaging 15hrs with medium to light use with 2.1 which was fine for me. After the upgrade, i was back to like 6-8hrs i think and HATING it. I was so discouraged that i wanted to root when 2.2 root became available (and i don't really care for rooting). I can honestly say now that, thanks to EarlyMon's repetitive use of promoting this link (lol), i'm getting more battery life than i ever did with 2.1. Juiceplotter used to show 18hrs left after a full charge (which was a little high depending on use) in 2.,1, and after 2.2 update it showed 10hrs. I did the usual tricks for battery life - adjusted sync settings, tried ATK, disabled wifi/BT/etc etc, and was almost ready to pull the trigger on a hard reset. Thankfully after i really read thru the "How To Fix Froyo" post (as i thought i knew all the tricks already), i noticed i never tried unchecking "Enable Always-on Mobile Data". I feared it would affect my syncing issues with FB contacts, email, etc, but it didn't. Now, i can get 15hrs easy with medium to heavy use, and even Juiceplotter shows 24+hrs of battery left after a full charge.

Oh, and I just switched from crappy Pandora to Last.fm this passed weekend. Pandora stopped playing after a song or two each time and it was killing me. I like the user interface of Pandora better, but Last.fm does better at mixing artists in a specific station so i'm a happy camper all around. Now if only Hulu will allow mobile access :p

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've got you beat. I still haven't applied the second OTA update, the 1.4 something update. I don't want to lose the android wallpaper set or the ability to use ShootMe. Maybe I'll wait till Gingerbread. ;)

Another 1.32 software user :)

With a heavily modified OS using FroYo JIT on Eclair, netarchy kernel + overclocked, and a bunch of other tweaks. I'd be willing to bet my phone outperforms a lot of stock FroYo EVOs with all the modding that has gone into it.

The only thing I really want from FroYo is the flash, that's it. If I knew more about decompiling apks and putting them back together without errors, I would totally try and remove the minsdkversion from the flash installer to see if it would work on 2.1.

Upvote 0
The battery life issue on the Evo is not a 2.1 thing or a 2.2 thing it's a hardware thing. They went with the worst possible combination of components a power hungry 65nm SnapDragon a HUGE backlit LCD and then they added all the possible bells and whistles it would need a 3000mAh battery just to compete in terms of battery life with other phones. Had HTC been smart they'd have used a 45nm processor and maybe a Super Amoled display which would cut battery consumption in half.

Upvote 0
The battery life issue on the Evo is not a 2.1 thing or a 2.2 thing it's a hardware thing. They went with the worst possible combination of components a power hungry 65nm SnapDragon a HUGE backlit LCD and then they added all the possible bells and whistles it would need a 3000mAh battery just to compete in terms of battery life with other phones. Had HTC been smart they'd have used a 45nm processor and maybe a Super Amoled display which would cut battery consumption in half.

Odd the few reviewers who've had their hands on both have said that the difference in battery life between the two is within minutes.

HTC not using an SAMOLED display had ZERO to do with intelligence.

Samsung held back on the supply of their S/AMOLED screens to everyone because they couldn't meet demand and they're building a $2+ billion new fab to make them available as soon as they can for their aftermarket, such as HTC.

And while I'm possibly mistaken, I do seem to recall you being in the threads where we discussed that some time back.

And while I know you know all about nanometer-era processes, so far, I'm quite happy with the reliability of 65 nm for mobile devices, and would question if your abysmal, unfixable battery experiences post-Froyo really extrapolates to proof that the Snapdragon with huge, bloated, swollen 65 nm process basis translates into double the power draw.

Upvote 0
Another 1.32 software user :)

With a heavily modified OS using FroYo JIT on Eclair, netarchy kernel + overclocked, and a bunch of other tweaks. I'd be willing to bet my phone outperforms a lot of stock FroYo EVOs with all the modding that has gone into it.

I'm consistently above 1350 in Quadrant without overclocking netarchy's 4.1.0 (and without cherry picking or paring down background processes or running services) - and my battery life is the stuff I used to think others were liars over.

Whatcha got? :)

Upvote 0
I'm consistently above 1350 in Quadrant without overclocking netarchy's 4.1.0 (and without cherry picking or paring down background processes or running services) - and my battery life is the stuff I used to think others were liars over.

Whatcha got? :)

Nothing on that lol. More like low 1000s on quadrant and mid 20s on linpack :p

battery life is fantastic though!

Upvote 0
Doesn't matter if most not facing the same issue. It's not me. It's the phone yo. The hardware, the battery, OS, HTC, 2.2 OTA gremlins, whatever, the answer lies somewhere there. At least as far my battery woes goes.

And I'm not the only one. or two. or three. Too burned out too list and elaborate beyond this sum: tried most tips, endless hours spent, factory resets, radios off, no downloaded apps, checked this, unchecked that, reformatted card, took out card, prayed to card, followed instructions to the tee, NOT multitasking, yada yada ... didn't help. Ordered new batteries, will report back if it helps.

So yeah, no doubt: it's not me, it's the phone. Something in it, on it, who knows. But definitely it's the phone yo. But that's ok. It does't mean the Evo is a bad phone. It just means that sometimes a small batch of bad updates happens to good people.

Upvote 0
Odd the few reviewers who've had their hands on both have said that the difference in battery life between the two is within minutes.

HTC not using an SAMOLED display had ZERO to do with intelligence.

Samsung held back on the supply of their S/AMOLED screens to everyone because they couldn't meet demand and they're building a $2+ billion new fab to make them available as soon as they can for their aftermarket, such as HTC.

And while I'm possibly mistaken, I do seem to recall you being in the threads where we discussed that some time back.

Meh, 65nm does ok on the battery front I would hardly call it exceptional, and yes the 45nm Hummingbird processor does much better than a Snapdragon, is it half as efficient no not exactly. But when you combine the Snapdragon with that huge backlit LCD screen and test it against a phone with a Hummingbird AND a Super-AMOLED display it's easily almost of not over twice as efficient. There was no real thought about how much power a user would draw when using the Evo, if there was and they wanted to keep the current hardware that particular device should have come with a 2500-3000mAh battery at least, the Evo's battery life is amoung the very worst (if not the worst) of any Android device to date and the truth is that big bulge screen isn't even that great in the quality dept.

The very users on this forum are a testament of that:

Doesn't matter if most not facing the same issue. It's not me. It's the phone yo. The hardware, the battery, OS, HTC, 2.2 OTA gremlins, whatever, the answer lies somewhere there. At least as far my battery woes goes.

And I'm not the only one. or two. or three. Too burned out too list and elaborate beyond this sum: tried most tips, endless hours spent, factory resets, radios off, no downloaded apps, checked this, unchecked that, reformatted card, took out card, prayed to card, followed instructions to the tee, NOT multitasking, yada yada ... didn't help. Ordered new batteries, will report back if it helps.

So yeah, no doubt: it's not me, it's the phone. Something in it, on it, who knows. But definitely it's the phone yo. But that's ok. It does't mean the Evo is a bad phone. It just means that sometimes a small batch of bad updates happens to good people.

To this user: It just might be hardware related, ever think the Evo just requires too much of that little battery (yes I called a 1500mAh battery little) especially when you consider the Evo's specs.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones