So here is where i am ...

Last Updated:

1. zackfknhillis

zackfknhillis Member This Topic's Starter

I have an HTC evo running froyo 2.2

i updated sprints latest ota which has drained my battery life and and caused some problems with stock applications such as the internet browser!!

i have decided that the stock android software has too many "restrictions".

my goal is to build a very smooth running evo from the ground up, uninstalling all the useless crap such as sprint tv and amazon mp3 and the like.

more importantly after i root, i would like to be able to limit what applications open themselves, i dont need qik and fring or whitepages running in the background.

so now that i am ready to take the plunge, i have a better than average understanding of computers and am failure with a command line.

my question is should i wipe my phone to factory default settings before i start the root process? and if i do, where do i find that option in the phone?

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

You really want to begin with decent backups. That info, and how to factory reset is here - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

You won't need to do a factory reset before rooting.

You would find that many of your issues running stock are addressed in that link I've just given - and you WILL want to bookmark it.

Backup / clear data / restore is the common procedure you'll follow when playing with custom kernels or roms, so you might as well get used to the idea. ;)

And - welcome to the forum!

3. zackfknhillis

zackfknhillis Member This Topic's Starter

alrighty, cleared data time to root wish me luck

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Luck!