So..how delicate is this phone?

Last Updated:

1. Optimus Droid

Optimus Droid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am loving my Fascinate! Just wanted to start a discussion about what people though about its build quality and how delicate or how much babying this phone needs!

Actually I'm going to ask something else here too. When you guys get a new phone how do you guys treat it? I think I am a little overboard with my new phones. I take care of them all the time. I treat them like glass. Too much pressure and it would break. But I am pretty sure they aren't like that. Like today, my gf was looking at it and tried to put it down on the carpet where I was sitting but couldn't reach it so she dropped it about 3 inches. Even though it has a body glove on I kinda freaked out a little.

What about you guys?

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Seems solid. Better build quality than HTC IMO. The metal Droids are more solid though. But the Fascinate is a lot sexier and has a better form factor.

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  3. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

The Vibrant feels far more fragile than the Fascinate. Despite the plastic backing, it feels solid to me, light, but solid. I'm not too worried about using it in a normal fashion...however, i'm not going to go around throwing it at people or trying to drop out of my car as I get out, I don't think any phone would survive perfectly from being dropped in the street. So I don't think you need to baby it because of build quality...but maybe just out of love!

4. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Well-Known Member

Case anyone? - I plan to. It is slippery though nothing like my old slick as glass HTC Touch. I now put a case on all my phones which helps grip and thus durability- saved my hyde on the D1 that jumped out of my lap onto the garage floor.

5. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

This phone definitely needs a case. The glass goes right up to all the edges on this phone. Gorilla glass or not, a case will provide some protection.

6. substring

substring Well-Known Member

Buy the black silicon cover from Verizon store. It has the rubber feel and I feel the phone is quite secure with this cover on.

7. II Kings 9:20

Cool, is that silicone the type that will pick up pocket lint or is it lint free?- If no lint, I would love it.

8. stormdroid

stormdroid Member

Sorry to jump in, but no its not. It's the high gloss cover and doesn't feel anything like those gross rubbery ones. I love mine!

9. Billy_617

Billy_617 Well-Known Member

*hinds behind corner* feels like my old iphone 3g - in a good way.
    im one who usually is VERY careful with my phones.. no matter how old ; if it treats me right then ill treat it like a new born child, if it crashes & is a piece of $#!7 then it will end up getting thrown at a wall (r.i.p. 3g)
    but i got a silicone case for this ; which i feel is enough to protect it from the once in a blue moon drop .. :eek:

& i gotta admit my droid 2 was a tank. i didnt like that .. it felt TOO strong

10. substring

substring Well-Known Member

I don't know because I don't usually wear clothes with a lot of pockets. Or if there is a pocket, it is not made to support a phone. ;)

Since the cover's material is thick rubber, I doubt it will catch any lint. You can go to the store to check it out...if they have any left.

11. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I treat my Fascinate as if it was really delicate. I think it's because it's incredibly lightweight. It definitely feels solid to me. At least the back isn't just some boring piece of plastic. I really like that Samsung has an interesting design on the back that isn't cheesy or immature. Everything about the phone screams high class to me in the looks department. My X does feel a lot more solid though.

12. Optimus Droid

Optimus Droid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't even let me friends touch with the fear of them pressing the buttons too hard or dropping it. God, I am paranoid. I need to stop.

Vihzel : Do you use a case?

13. nunyazz

nunyazz Well-Known Member

14. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

I am curious about build quality too...It does feel really nice in hand. I also checked out the Vibrant and have to agree that it has lower build quality. The display Vibrant had gaps from the battery cover not fitting all the way...the chrome accents were not straight and even, but looked like cheap kids toys ones :D

I really am deciding if I want to get the Fascinate...I have an Incredible right now...and would get fascinate just for voice quality. I did try out the X, but it was too big...and so Fascinate seems just perfect size. Have been reading tons of feedback. Build quality is very important in my opinion. Yesterday my daughter dropped my Incredible onto wood flood (about a foot and a half) and while it fell, the battery cover and battery all flew apart. I thought I would have a heart attack! That was a first fall.

15. Billy_617

Billy_617 Well-Known Member

16. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Nope. I never use cases with my phones. Then again... I've never actually dropped one. I also have insurance. :)

17. nunyazz

nunyazz Well-Known Member

LOL... really... It was making me sick to watch the torture! :eek:

18. droid_head

droid_head Well-Known Member

Was just about to post that video! Beat me to it. Yeah, I would say the Fascinate is way more durable than than the Dinc and other phones. I've heard some horror stories about the Dinc.

19. II Kings 9:20

Even better, thanks!

20. II Kings 9:20

Can't bring myself to pay $5 a month for insurance. I would almost feel the need to drop it from time to time :eek:.

21. woodyt74

woodyt74 Well-Known Member

Check with you agent/insurance company for a rider to cover your electronic toys. For about $25/year you can cover all your toys with a $0 - $50 deductible. Started doing that after spilling coffee on my wife's laptop. :eek: You can also pick your coverage limit based on what you have and your largest expected loss.

22. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

OUCH!!! I hurt now after the video :(