So, how good/bad is the GPS?

Last Updated:

1. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that the EVO screen is up to the same size as comparable stand-alone GPS units, how do the rest of the Sprint GPS features and functionality compare to say a Garmin? (I am still waiting for my EVO to arrive).

Advertisement
  2. pingpongboss

pingpongboss Well-Known Member

I think most people actually prefer Google Navigation instead of Sprint's nav

3. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

I have not used my handheld gps since I got my first "smart phone" 2 years ago. Instinct had it, so did the Pre and now my Evo and it gets better everytime. As far as I can tell, the Evo's GPS works without a cell signal as well. I verified this by turning airplane mode on so I had no signal then switching GPS on while in airplane mode. I then used GPS Status to confirm that I hade a GPS signal. Not sure what tyhe implications of this are, I would still like to see if Sprint navigation works when I don't have a cell signal, haven't tried that yet. I know with my previous two phones you had to have a cell signal for the GPS to work.

Now we just need some more sweet GPS apps to use.

Google maps works great for navigation, I used it over the last weekend to get around Tulsa and it was flawless. Not sure if I answered your question, but that is how I feel about the GPS on the Evo.

4. MyFishWagon

MyFishWagon Well-Known Member

Ive used my Google Maps a handful of times, and for the most part its been accurate and quick. On one occasion though, Google Maps did NOT find the exact address I punched in, but Sprint Navigation did. Either way, they are both pretty good.

5. gowcaizer1978

gowcaizer1978 Well-Known Member

I find the sprint nav to be good for highway driving cause of the auto traffic updates. but im leaning more towards Google nav now cause its fast and very very accurate. plus u can just say navigate to target as an example or an address. it just works so well.

6. coolguy949

coolguy949 Well-Known Member

If you're using Google Maps make sure you install the "Bubble Buttons" added on Labs. You can access labs through the menu in Google Maps. It makes it so you can one-touch navigate or call a POI you've searched for. Works great.

JStu313 and Bic101 like this.
  7. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

That kind of brings up an interesting advantage over the Evo for navigation versus a dedicated GPS unit. If you can't find the address with one app, you can try another. The other great thing is OTA updates to the GPS NAV software, as far as I know you have to plug the dedicated units into a computer to download updates or do it via some other method.

8. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

My evo kills my Garmin from 2 years ago.
    If I miss a turn none of this "recalculating bull" it just moves on to the next best route.

9. neoshi

neoshi Well-Known Member

Just tried it with Google Nav and it is pretty damn accurate. Update rate is good

...unlike my old HTC Touch Pro which would lag about 2 seconds. By the time I was told to turn, I was already passing the intersection. :mad:

10. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

I've found my experience to be quite the opposite.

The Google Nav isn't near as user friendly as my Garmin.

The Sprint navigation is better than I expected.

Given the choice, I'll use the Garmin and if it isn't handy I'll probably use google Nav if i can stop to play 20 questions with it. Add to that 'GPS signal lost' every 30 seconds and it's frustrating.

My garmin would navigate from the trunk - lol.

11. karong

karong Well-Known Member

When i went on vacation last week I used Google nav alot and it was very accurate for me. Very easy to use. Havent tried the Sprint nav app yet so I cant compare.

12. trojanman

trojanman Member

I used Google Nav yesterday to direct me to a bar where I was meeting up with friends to watch the LAKERS game. I thought it worked very well...the screen stays on, it flows very nice, the voice is loud, and it regenerates your route quickly if you go off course. I didn't poke around to see if there was a traffic overlay, but I believe there is.

I haven't used Sprint Nav on the EVO yet. I used it once on my Pre last year just to test it out, but never again used it because I never needed to. If I had to compare my experiences with both, I'd prefer Google Nav.

LAKERS 2010 CHAMPS!! Was a great night last night... =)

13. Bic101

Bic101 Well-Known Member

Are you sure you don't need a cell signal? I had to be connected to 3G or Wifi to get the map and directions. airplane mode didn't work for me either.

14. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

The voice of the Sprint one is better but the responsiveness of the google one is better.

I CANT WAIT till they drop the window mount for this. I really hope it has its own cable and the phone docs into it because I travel for work and my Hero was already my go-to GPS, the idea of using this monster, eeettttsss nnniiiiicccceeee...

15. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

You have to have signal to establish the route but once you are going you can lose signal, it just drops back to that navigation screen (with direction, next turn and speed) until you get signal again. Once you get signal again it starts updating the maps again.

16. clambert1273

clambert1273 Well-Known Member

i prefer the sprint navigation one :) maybe its a comfort zone thing lol

17. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I agree, I think the Sprint Nav application is great!

18. AngryCPA

AngryCPA Active Member

If I'm driving, I find myself using Sprint Nav, but when I am a passenger I always use Google Nav

19. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses. I don't yet have my EVO, so I was not aware that there was more than one option, thus, all the question about Sprint GPS.

Anyway, Great information - I can't wait to get me grubby mitt's on this thing!

Thanks,
    Brad

20. iamfunkyz

iamfunkyz Well-Known Member

GPS on the evo takes a giant dump on the GPS on the instinct. I'm very pleased.

21. finndo77

finndo77 Well-Known Member

Champs of what? I thought Basketball ran from January to March? or is it not basketball? some other Lakers?

this is baseball season...

(btw I do like the lakers; however I have not watched a non-college basketball game in the last 9 years.)

22. finndo77

finndo77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, did anyone notice TomTom's reply to the Evo?

They launched their 5" screen GPS units, I played with one Friday, it is freakin sweet!! I have TomTom 730 Go 4.3" and still use it, sometimes I prefer it over my Evo, simply because I am more comfortable with it, I can easily search for "restaurants" and for location choose "along my route" which is a big deal when driving 3+ hours and want to plan ahead for a stop with other people.

23. aeiou

aeiou Well-Known Member

Same here.

24. muncher

muncher Well-Known Member

i got copilot live just cause i take trips to the wilderness sometimes where there isn't always a reliable data signal. the north america map takes a little less than 2 gigs on my SD card. it basically turns the evo into a full featured nav with live traffic... pretty sweet =)

25. jbsg02

jbsg02 Well-Known Member

I tried out the google navigation the other day and it was AWESOME. I just used the google voice command and said where I was headed and it pulled it right up, hit get directions, and off I went.