So how is the battery going

Last Updated:

1. Amdroid

Amdroid Member This Topic's Starter

I know some of you have now had a chance to play with the phone for a little while now. My one concern about getting the Desire is the battery usage. If I keep my app use/net etc down to a minimum how long should it last?

Advertisement
  2. brightonNova

brightonNova Member

So I haven't massively pushed it but the Desire, starting from a full charge at 7am easily lasted the entire day. This was with wi-fi off at work but some browsing and app installing over 3G during the day, then back on the wi-fi once I got home.

If you keep things to a minimum I don't think there'd be any problem with battery.

3. lukeyboymac

lukeyboymac Well-Known Member

If not in use, turning the screen brightness to the lowest setting and disabling GPS means that after a 14 hour day, my battery is about 65%
    Leave GPS on and the screen pumped to full brightness and you'll suffer for it

4. brightonNova

brightonNova Member

Ah, good point. I don't have GPS on at work normally and a lot of the time the screen is off/locked.

5. rhodzy

rhodzy Well-Known Member

This is what was worrying me about the desire especially with the size of the screen.

I should hopefully get it today. Fingers crossed, I'm sick and tired of getting handsets with poor batteries. Hopefully one day the phone makers will realise this is a major problem and will address the issue!

6. rodmace

rodmace Member

As I am using t-mob G1 at the moment, battery life can't really borther me anymore.

7. Bearo

Bearo Well-Known Member

Android makes it so easy to turn WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth, 3G on/off with 1 click via widgets, apps, etc. This helps me manage your battery far better than any device ive ever had.

8. Amdroid

Amdroid Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone, I want the desire for the features but I wont be using them all day so will keep them off. As long as I can get though the day and then put it on charge at night then thats fine.

9. amster

amster Active Member

First thing I did was lower the brightness and it's still bright when indoors but outside it's a bit hard to see, if I'm honest, as the screen is like a mirror outside with brightness down.
    Just ordered some screen protectors from Amazon.

10. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

It can last me 2 days if I dont over use it.

11. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

I think the device needs a few charges before the battery performs to the proper amount. My Hero started off the same way.

12. Martinchen

Martinchen Member

according to the capacity of the battery, how long does it last if we use the gps position with full brightness ?

13. rhodzy

rhodzy Well-Known Member

My battery is doing amazingly well at the moment, today is the real test though, I shall be using the phone as much as possible to see how quickly I can get it to run down completely.

14. amster

amster Active Member

I'm averaging around less than 5 hours, give or take. WiFi on most of the time, but playing games mainly and seriously exploring the phone and working out how to organise everything. Overall, I'm very impressed with the phone and it's an ultimate gadget.

15. Bearo

Bearo Well-Known Member

Games use the most battery. 10 minutes of a gfx intensive game will use more battery than 6hrs of standby.

16. rhodzy

rhodzy Well-Known Member

I am having no problems what so ever with my battery, so far I have twitter to auto fetch tweets, auto fetch email, syncing contacts between Google, 5 minutes phone calls, sent around 25 tweets, downloading apps from the android market, uploading various photos to flickr and basically just using the phone as much as I can and the battery has hardly changed in 9 hours of use.

This is by far the best battery I have had in any smartphone.

17. rhodzy

rhodzy Well-Known Member

Also need to mention that WIFI is on constantly.

18. 400ixl

400ixl Well-Known Member

Battery is looking good on mine as well.

Not made huge numbers of calls on it but it does have lots of WIFI use which is always on, google mail push, exchange push and twitter running all of the time. Plus using it for playing podcasts.

Battery has only dropped as far a half way in a 12 hour period on one day at worst.

19. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

First charge took 3 hours exactly until green.

Ran down until 4% left, with running time since unplugging (as per spareparts app) of 40hours.

About 2 hours wi-fi, 5 bluetooth, bout 30 texts, and 20 minutes calls + messing about with stuff and showing people.

Managed to get about 36 hours from the Hero, and the same from my N96 so impressed so far.

20. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

Were your battery lives poor on first charge? Mine lasted 8 hours on first charge today, but I did download like 70 apps!

21. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

On the Hero, using wifi used a lot lot less battery than using mobile data. So the real test is when people use it out and about all day. Tuesday when i'm back to work will be the real test for me anyway.

22. spiderhider

spiderhider New Member

Battery is starting to settle. First couple of charges were poor. Now tho I'm browsing the web for hour on end with very little movement. I'm impressed for a touch screen of this size.

23. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I tried a live wallpaper (water) today, and in 3hrs the android system % rose by 10% (was 15% after 40hr uptime since last charge) and the battery sank from 60% down to 28%!

Means that's 20hours since last charge.