so how many of ya have gotten better with hardware keyboard?

have you gotten alot faster as you use it more?

1. No...i just cant get use to it.

9.4%
  2. No clue never tried to get better.

9.4%
  3. Yes! im getting faster all the time!

73.3%
  4. I'm unstoppable! i can speed type with no errors!

7.8%

Last Updated:

1. chaoticzdh

chaoticzdh Active Member This Topic's Starter

So I have gotten a lot better with the keyboard. It amazes me that it has a learning curve. The more I use it the better I get. My only issue is when typing in forums or browser in general for some reason got terrible lag keyboard to output.

Advertisement
  2. PsychoKlown

PsychoKlown Member

I mostly use it to send text messages, but I'm definitely getting faster. I had an AT&T Tilt, so the keyboard had keys placed differently.

3. gcroberson

gcroberson Well-Known Member

At first the keyboard was difficult (due to the flatness) but I have become quite speedy with it. Although the texture kind of throws me off.

4. spectrrr

spectrrr Well-Known Member

I never thought i'd say it, but I really have grown to like the keyboard.....

with that said, I HATE the space bar!!! its really three buttons with a a very soft plastic cover over them, and my thumbs always manage to stab the space bar in between the two buttons. IT FEELS LIKE you hit the wrong key, and really throws off your typing.

5. Wolfdroid

Wolfdroid Active Member

I'm getting better with it, but there again i type so slow that it would be hard to mess up. I did like the one on the TP2, but the Droids not that bad really, just my typing skills.

6. gcroberson

gcroberson Well-Known Member

+1
    I find myself doing this quite frequently

7. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

I must be in the minority. I never had a problem with the keyboard. I actually like it a lot - outside the fact the 5-way should be on the left.

Then again, I never owned a smart phone before the droid.

8. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I think I'm still faster on the Tour than the Droid, but a BB keyboard is pretty hard to beat. The fact that I'm getting pretty close is a good sign.

You guys should try the game TxtSpeed and see how good you really are at typing on the keyboard!

9. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

took me about 2-3 days to get really comfortable with the keyboard. its like nothing to me now. i actually like the texture of it. only thing i wish is that it was spaced out better. that huge ugly pad thing on the right hand side is totally unnecessary i think. they couldve done without that and made the keyboard bigger and more spacious. i like the keyboard but it still feels really awkward to have to reach so far out to hit the space bar with my right thumb.

btw, i just can't get used to that onscreen keyboard. for the life of me, i just cant type on that thing without hitting the wrong keys. how the hell do ppl type on that thing?

10. Fabolous

Well, just let it register the wrong key, and more likely than not, it will auto correct when you press the space bar anyways.

That's how I type on the virtual keyboard anyways. I don't make too many mistakes in portrait mode, but on the landscape keyboard, when I do make a mistake I just keep typing and it autocorrects for me.

11. t4bz

t4bz Member

The keyboard is just fine and I'll be pretty quick in no time. I particularly like the 5 way directional bar, as it makes it easier to navigation some web pages (particularly email programs)...but sometimes I have a bit of trouble clicking the center (select).

12. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member

I'm a fan, although this is the first phone i've had with a keyboard. I've played with the virtual keyboards on ipod touches a lot, though, and I must say having the hardware keyboard is very nice.

one thing, is there any way to set up some type of auto correct for the hardware keyboard like you have for the software keyboard?

13. Fabolous

14. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

72 hours... the first 72 hours are down right brutal and then you find that sweet spot and it just takes off from there. It will never be as smooth as the TP2 but its leagues better than it was the first day. Once auto complete is implimented I will be completely happy with the Droids keyboard.

15. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

As George HW Bush would say,

"Not gonna do it, not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture...juncture."

IOW - I stick to the virtual KB.

16. Vance

Vance Well-Known Member

I thought I would never use the hard keyboard since it just seemed impossible. But I have forced myself to work on it and have gotten much better.

BUT, the one big problem I have is that the delete key (which I still need a lot) is RIGHT above the enter key which causes a lot of problems.

And what is the D-Pad good for? I can't seem to find any time when I use it.

17. ufmedrudy

ufmedrudy Active Member

I didn't care for the keyboard being off center at first...but Im getting more used to it

18. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

I found it difficult at first because I had to skew to the left a bit since it's not centered. Then it threw it me off if I used the landscape screen keyboard. Now I'm used to both. If it's like this after a week, I'm sure after a month it'll feel very natural.

19. animere

animere Member

Found the keyboard to be very good. Much like my 6800. Very easy to type on. No strain on my hand even with the d pad and I have big hands

20. King James

King James Active Member

I'm pretty fast with it now. It still isn't as good as I would like, but I can work on it quite well

21. mxrider821

mxrider821 Well-Known Member

i was about to say the same thing... i always use the onscreen keyboard just so i dont have to open the phone and ive had the droid since day 1, but still it seems like a make a lot of mistakes and im not that accurate on the keys. hope the update in dec. makes a diff in the corrections of the words and somehow makes it easier

22. quentinfisher

quentinfisher Well-Known Member

I'm definitely faster, once hated it but I have sort have grown to like it. Anyone else get tired fast typing with it though :(?

23. RoyMustang

RoyMustang Well-Known Member

Definitely getting better with practice. What's weird to me is when I first started using it I was worried because it just didn't feel comfortable. After a few days of heavy usage its like my hands have adapted and now it feels very natural. Started using my left hand to cover more of the keyboard on account of the D-pad. As a gamer I wish the D-pad was on the left for the genesis and snes emulators, but I've even learned to play those left handed. Almost like they made the keyboard for lefties????

24. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

The body glove case really interferes with the top row of keys on the phys KB, so I havn't tried to get better with it. I tried again just now seeing this thread and it's still bad.

I think I'm going to go check out the Holster/shell combo that was posted in another thread, see if that's any better.

Good news is I'm lightning fast on the virtual landscape KB.

25. chaoticzdh

chaoticzdh Active Member This Topic's Starter

the more i use it the better i get by a ton. My biggest gripe is with these forums. When the forums does the auto search for a topic when you try to post a new thread my screen will not stay near the post soo i cant see how im typing. Also i cant use the touchscreen at all in browser it lags real bad. I wonder what is causing the output lag.

It doeesnt happen in txt or email just the browser.

BTW===

The D-Pad is VERY useful for some websites that ask you to select an option. I found that sometimes the touch screen wont register when i try too click on the option. You can use D-Pad to select the option by pressing on the middle. Perfect for that issue.