• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help So how many people are having camera freezing problems?

How many people are having the "camera freezing" problem?

• Total voters
How about have anyone having these camera issues post all their apps, maybe there's a common app that's causing the issue... Mine was freezing up yesterday for the first time.

I'm looking in the "downloads" section of the Market App: (holy crap I've downloaded a bunch)

Setting Profiles Full
AppBrain Market Sync
Timesheet
Smooth Calendar
Multitouch Visible Test
Advanced Task Killer (helps kill the camera when its dorking up)
XiiaLive Lite
SystemPanel App
The Weather Channel
Layar Reality Browser
Spar Parts
GPS ONOff
eWallet Viewer
Astrid Task/ToDo List
ConnectBot
aCar
TimeCatcher
Directv
ShopSavvy
Slicehost
PodKast
Amazon.com
USAA Mobile
Google Maps update
Transdroid
Qik Video Camera
CraigsNotifica
VIP Access
Movies
Google Voice

Upvote 0
no camera probs here.
Apps: 3banana, 420 Notifier, Air Control, Aldiko, Pass the Pigs tally, Astro, Barcode Scanner, BBC News, Bookmarks to SD, Bubble Level, Dolphin HD, Google Earth, Engadget, Handcent, Jewels, Magic 8ball, Movies, NPR news and Live Stream, NYC subway maps, Patience Revisited (best solitaire), PDAnet, Pinball, Prankster, Simpsons puzzle, Skyfire, Sportstap, tapatalk, Red Club Texas Hold 'em, Weather Channel, Urbanspoon, word search.

Upvote 0
It's actually my only issue with the phone so far. And it's completely random.

I noticed it while in a restaurant. I'd take a pic and the camera would just quit to the home screen, no message, the photo doesn't get saved, nothing. Rather odd. I tried it again and it did the same thing... so I gave up. It hasn't done it since so I'm going to blame Smokey Bones and their devil restaurant. (insert yelling smilie here.)

Upvote 0
It happens to mine on occasion. I can close the camera and go to the home screen, but when I open the camera back up, all I get is a black screen. Close it again and go back into it, and I'm fine. It's annoying, but I do not want to have to go through setting this thing up again. If it stays like it is, I'll live with it.

LOL thats exactly how I feel about it.

Upvote 0
I've had the phone for about a month and the camera worked fine until I went on vacation last week. I took about 70 pics and it froze up 4-5 times. It was more of an annoyance than anything because it froze at the most inopportune times. I hit the home button and tried to go back to the camera, but all I would get was a black screen. It started working again once I went back to the home screen a couple of times and waited about 30 seconds to 1 minute. All in all, over 100 total pics with 4-5 freezes isn't a bad ratio, but I would still like it to work properly all the time because you never know when that perfect shot will present itself for just a few seconds. Verizon told me that they have logged a "product report" regarding the issue with HTC. Hopefully, the issue will be fixed with the new android 2.2 roll out. Other than the standard apps that come preloaded on the phone, all I've downloaded is Mazeoid, Pandora, and Sudoku.

Upvote 0
I do not use mine much, but I was trying to take a photo last night and it froze up. That is the first time it has happened.

Edit: To be fair, it may have been a result of Swype. I had a glitchy version until about 4 hours ago.

That actually is a valid point. Because that was only thing I IMMEDIATELY installed and the camera was acting up. How did you get a "non glitchy" version?

Upvote 0
I was having a random camera freeze that only returning to the home screen twice would fix. I looked up HTC.com and he walked me thru a quick fix. Does not freeze anymore. Go to settings on camera and reset all. YOU will not loose anything. Make sure you save to the SD card. Then go to Settings, Applications, Manage applications, Camera and clear your data. Works great now. I hope this helps someone. :D

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0
I wrote a letter to Verizon regarding the freezing phone issue after being told by a dozen different people that I was imagining things and there were NO known issues with this phone. After a week of research, I FINALLY got hold of a technically competent HTC tech person. Here is part of the letter. (I'm returning my Inc for the X today)

Here is what I learned through the conversation with the HTC Escalation Team member:

Camera freezing: KNOWN ISSUE.
Lower level HTC techs had been informed as well as Verizon.
There was a temporary patch from HTC that Verizon chose not to put on their website while also refusing to acknowledge any issues.

MP3 player shutting off: KNOWN ISSUE
Again, this information was distributed but not acknowledged by others.

Screen: KNOWN ISSUE – although not fully understood. HTC had known issues with the screens on these phones prompting them to change suppliers. It was not known if this fact had been shared with Verizon or others.

Other issues with the phone were also revealed including interfacing with the Bluetooth.

The fixes:

The camera and MP3 player issues should be solved in an upcoming update to be issued by HTC and pushed from Verizon. A date for the fix was not known.
My replacement phone “probably” has the new screen. After comparing it against the original, this appears to work better. The original phone will not scroll properly while sitting on a table, while the replacement does.

The warranty problem:

Verizon will swap out the phone for another brand or replace it for 30 days. Once that period is up, I was told I must deal with HTC for any issues with the phone. However, this is only partially true: HTC uses PCDPhones, which is a 3rd party warranty claims company.
In addition, provided HTC (or PCDPhones) even acknowledges a problem and agrees to fix it, they require sending the phone to them – at my expense - for diagnoses and repair, thus leaving me without a phone for whatever period of time they deem necessary.

Updates to the phone:

Any updates to phone software are strictly controlled by Verizon and thus require Verizon acknowledge they exist. The problem: They do not always acknowledge well-established, well-known problems even if the manufacturer notifies them of it and provides the fix. This leaves customers in the dark and feeling unheard.

It appears much of the above information is not known to Verizon staff. This unnecessarily complicates in-store sales & technical service. It also gives the impression (whether true or not) that Verizon corporate is systematically withholding important information from their customers regarding the products they sell.

Upvote 0
This has been my 'latest' problem. When I take a photo, the camera (entire phone) freezes and shuts intself off, not storing any photographs.

Factory reset, clearing all memory and files, and replacements have not solved it.

My warranty is up, but they extended it to give me a new Incredible, which isn't so incredible. Can't wait till July for my Iphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones