• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So HTC Desire will loose all support and be stuck @ 2.2?

Wouldn't worry too much as xda got hold of the new version of sense from htc desire hd, this will soon be popping up in the roms & we will get it before htc release the desire hd by the looks

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785560.

That's not the point really, HTC should do this as well for recent handsets. Plus, you will not get htcsense.com access with "hacked" versions, i would assume.

Upvote 0
I think more and more networks are taking liverties now, but the North America ones have always taken the biscuit. I hear some US ones even charge for incoming calls. Is that right?

The US system is just different. In the UK you can tell mobile numbers from landline because they start "07", so you know that the costs of calling them may differ. Therefore it's considered fair game to charge the larger connection charges of the mobile operator to the caller. In the US cell numbers don't have a different code (just a normal area code), and so the caller cannot necessarily know they are calling a mobile, and hence the extra charges are instead passed to the mobile owner.

Reactions: Markhypnos
Upvote 0
On that topic, most people never realise that that's how Twitter started. The 140 character limit is not some arbitrary micro-blogging limit that they decided, but designed for SMS/WAP Push with some overhead for marketing URLS appended. In the US you paid for receiving texts, so you would sign up to follow people, and every time they tweeted you got a message (and had to pay). Would have never worked in the UK and places where the sender pays, because Twitter would have been stuck with huge SMS bills.

Upvote 0
I think more and more networks are taking liverties now, but the North America ones have always taken the biscuit. I hear some US ones even charge for incoming calls. Is that right?

I do not know about incoming calls but I have had my Data plan changed from the $15.00 a month to the $30.00 a month plan with no notice or anything until it was already done just because I had a nexus one that AT&T did not carry or sell but because they said it was a smart phone, I had no say about it and so I either had to pay the higher price or get rid of the phone. But atleast we are not strapped with three year contracts like Canada is, but who knows they may start, that is why when my contract is up in March 2011, I will never sign another one again. Only unlocked, unbranded phones for me, besides they have nothing to offer that is as good as the Desire!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones