So i bricked my wifes ally today

Last Updated:

1. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I managed to brick the ally today as it will not get past the google sign in screen no matter what you do. If you do the 4 corner tap to bypass the sign in, it will look like it worked and then when the unlock screen comes up the screen is black except for the taskbar. So i took it down to verizon, an everyone there was stumped. They offered to replace the phone with another ally, but was out of stock. I didn't remember my wifes SS# so i had to come back home and send the wife down there. She is going to ask them if they will either call around to surrounding verizon stores and try to find another ally close or maybe give her a droid Inc.:D Im hoping for the latter, as i just don't care much for this phone anymore. Aside from our recent troubles with the phone, the big thing is the battery life sucks since it spends a ton of time without signal due to the 50% bug.:(

Advertisement
  2. skater95

skater95 Well-Known Member

Try this, the person at verzion did this when I bricked mine phone they did this. Turn the phone off or if you can't just take out the battery, either way take the battery out after its off hold the power button for like 20 seconds while the battery is out. That un-bricked my phone it somehow resets it..

3. savoxis

savoxis Well-Known Member Developer

I am having a hard time understanding where your getting stuck. Are you on the account authentication you get to from the lock screen or the setup authentication?

If your stuck on the lock screen its not too hard to fix, for some reason the os cannot verify your google credentials unless it is connected to a wifi network. This happened to me a few months ago and I had wifi disabled so it seemed pretty bleak.

BUT.
    If you pull the battery, replace it, then turn the phone on holding the SEND MENU and END buttons (call, menu, and hangup) it will perform a factory reset.

ADDITION:
    The 50% bug does not actually cause you to lose signal it just reports that you have.

4. bamaredwingsfan

I managed to get into airplane mode and turn on wifi and connect that way to verify credentials, still no dice. It still kept just asking over and over again to sign in to my google account.

On the send menu end reset, all it will do is get to screen were it says android and just hang up there.
    Verizon is overniting me another ally and all i am having to pay is the shipping. Oh well, i bet i don't install clockwork before updating the software if its still on V6:D

5. savoxis

I am pretty sure it takes a minute for the reset to go through, how long did you let it "hang" on the android with the exclaimation mark?

6. Robo1007

Robo1007 Well-Known Member

Bama Don't feel bad I bricked mine too! Not to much fun.

7. savoxis

The only way to brick on of these should be flashing a bad recovery. And even then it doesnt have a 100% chance of bricking it... Are you sure you guys tried everything? If you can get into the phone VIA adb at ANY point the phone is salvagable

8. Robo1007

Savoxis my phone won't work with adb I can't get in to turn usb debugging on and I can't load a custom recovery. If you have any ideas let me know before I go to VZW and wait for a replacement for 2 plus hours :)

9. flick159

flick159 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, what were you trying that got you stuck?

10. Robo1007

tried to install the new velocity rom with clockworkmod.

11. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

@Robo1007 Message me on gtalk or pm me

12. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I've talked with robo1007 in IRC. I recommended trying fastboot boot option which didnt work. I showed him the link to death2all110's flashing the LG stock rom which he said got stuck at 30%. Tried removing battery then holding power for 20 seconds. Had no more ideas wish i could've helped more.

Robo1007 likes this.
  13. death2all110

@dots thanks for trying

Robo1007 likes this.
  14. bamaredwingsfan

I let it sit on that screen for almost 1 hour more than one occasion.

15. bamaredwingsfan

That was my problem as well, i couldn't get into the setting to enable usb debugging. I do think this phone is salvagable, just not by me. Someone with alot more experience could fix it, im sure. But the local verizon tech was stumped, which thats not saying much, she may not have known more than i do.:D

16. bamaredwingsfan

I had loaded the V8 rom that was posted here in an attempt to recieve the V8 upgrade. I was on V6, and had flashed the rom before i managed to remove clockwork. At this point i was back on the stock recovery, which from what i understand un-usable by us. Ok i proceeded to go into the security setting i think and clickon the wipe phone data. Ok after i did that, the phone came back up and would hang on the android screen. Ok i hard reseted and got the phone to load past the android screen and it would get to the screen where the green droid comes up and asks for your google credentials. I would input my screenname an password and go through the steps, once i got the final step to finish, it would just ask me again for the credentials. It would just continously ask me over an over an never get past that step. So, i managed to get into airplane mode and try this thinking maybe the network was messing me up, same thing happened on wifi. Ok, battery pull and restart the phone would go back to hanging on the android screen just like before. Hard reset again, and this time i did the 4 corner tap to bypass putting in my google info. I managed to get into the dialer and did the *22899 process to update the phone, still no change. After i did the network update, i got the V8 update to pop up and ask me if i wanted to install. I click ok and proceed, only to have the install process abort about 1 third of the way through installation. The phone would reboot back into the android bootloop again. I will say im curious to know what will fix the device though:rolleyes:

17. death2all110

whats Vol UP +Home +Menu do? have you tried it?

18. bamaredwingsfan

That was the only thing that would get me past the android load screen bootloop. Then, i would get stuck on the google credentials screen:(

19. death2all110

I heard there was a 4 corner tap trick to get past it...umm try turning the phone off and sliding the keyboard out and holding the OK button down until it boots to like the lock screen. It should boot it into safe mode.

20. bamaredwingsfan

Too late, verizon sent the replacement yesterday evening. I already sent the phone back. But the replacement had V8 already, and now it has more than that:D

21. death2all110

Lol well at least they sent you a replacement. I'm gonna guess playing stupid had something to do with it?

22. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

haha good on you for getting a replacement.

23. HarleyChick

HarleyChick Well-Known Member

I also had to get a replacement because my phone became unusable after trying to root it. I don't know what happened, I don't know what i did, but I could not do anything with it. I'm a big wimp now - won't EVER try to root a phone again. My new Ally works, and that is all I care about.

24. bamaredwingsfan

Ha, you just gotta get back on that horse when it throws you :D I rooted the replacement 10 minutes after it arrived LOL

25. HarleyChick

HarleyChick Well-Known Member

Ordinarily, I would agree with you! But this whole "rooting" thing has me stumped. I've read through all the forums, and I just don't get what everyone is talking about - its like you're all speaking a foreign language. Until someone can explain to me what the benefit of rooting is - IN PLAIN ENGLISH thank you very much - other than the ability to remove unwanted apps (which is where I think I screwed up my previous Ally) and being able to "flash" (another term I'm not sure I understand) a custom ROM, then I think I will just leave it alone.

Maybe I'm just too lazy (or too old!) to take the time, but if I can't just hit a button and download it directly to my Ally, I'm just not going to do it. Call me Wimpy.....