So i have the leaked 2.2 installed.

Last Updated:

1. TminusTech

TminusTech Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to root my phone so I can install stock froyo or downgrade so i can get regular 2.1 back. I really wanna get all the root stuff though.

Advertisement
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

I just read that Motorola says there's no upgrade path from the leaked Froyo. They recommend rolling back to 2.1 if you hope to get the OTA version, or any OTA upgrade for that matter.

3. rdcamero

rdcamero Well-Known Member

Microsoft said the same thing about Windows 7 beta to RC.People found a work around for it though.I am sure someone will find one for this also.

4. TminusTech

So how do I downgrade.

5. colchiro

6. TminusTech

That shows how to root 2.2 not downgrade it to 2.1

7. northernmoris

northernmoris Well-Known Member

I do believe the only way to get back to 2.1 at this time is to flash the .sbf
    Which you can get from "The bomb".

8. TminusTech

So if i just Root 2.2 and get a new rom can i run stock froyo with everything working with fly x?

9. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

I currently have the leaked rom imstalled too. I imagine we will have to flash the stock sbf for 2.1 using rsd lite. It will be uploaded to the web in mass im sure.

10. Exiled

Exiled Well-Known Member

I'm not touching the 2.2 on my phone until I see what happens with the OTA. It may not have enough changes to warrant upgrading. If it does, I bet a dev will come up with an upgrade.zip to install similarly to the leaked 2.2. This could be beneficial since we could keep root.

11. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

Yep, unless the ota is significantly better than the leaked, I'm keeping the latter. Even if it is better, I'll also be patient and see if we can upgrade without having to go back to 2.1 first. Obviously, moto wants to scare us into thinking we'll never be able to upgrade unless we go back to 2.1, but it's only a matter of time!

12. Phantom_LS2

Phantom_LS2 Well-Known Member

Quick question, knowing we can't upgrade to the 2.2 from the OTA update, what about later android revisions? Are people that installed the leaked froyo permanently screwed?

13. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

You guys are paranoid! With all likelihood, those of us who installed the leaked version will be able to upgrade via other methods. Better still, we really don't WANT the OTA update anyway because many of us are waiting for better custom ROMS (or at least optimizations).

WORST case scenario is that you sbf back to 2.1 and then install the OTA update. Motorola is simply saying you cannot upgrade from the leaked 2.2 to the OTA 2.2. Then DO point out that you can go back to 2.1 and THEN upgrade to the OTA 2.2 if that's what you want.

I, for one, do NOT want the OTA update, even if it's better than the leaked 2.2. I'll wait for a version I can install manually. And I don't want to lose root.

14. Scooter70

Scooter70 Well-Known Member

Of course not. You can always a) flash the sbf back to 2.1 and upgrade via the official OTA or b) keep on using the tools that we already have (Bootstrap/ROM Manager) to flash ROMs developed by people like Birdman, Pete, Koush, ChevyNo1, and whoever else decides to develop for the Droid X. Sooner or later these guys will figure out how to get a ROM that's compiled from source on to the phone (it looks like Sapphire is already working on it). Cyanagenmod anyone?

15. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

You do realize that the OTA update is 2.2 right? It might have a couple of new tweaks that the leaked update doesn't have, but other than that it is the same.

You make it sound like you won't have 2.2 with the OTA update - that you have to load something else on top of the OTA update.

If it is a typo and you meant you cannot upgrade to 2.2 from the leaked update, well that is wrong too. If you are running the leaked update, you already have 2.2.

In any case - you are never screwed. A simple download of the sfb file and you will be back at the stock 2.1 OS system - just like you phone was fresh out of the box.

16. colchiro

In the Windows world, there are supported upgrade paths, like Vista to Win7. Upgrades from builds between major releases aren't supported b/c installing beta over beta can introduce unique problems.

I believe what Motorola is implying is that the leaked build is unsupported and even if you do get a leaked patch, you still might still have issues from the initial, interim build, (your leaked version). They are testing an upgrade from the 604 version and making changes as needed for that to go smoothly, not your version.

17. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Here is what bird thinks

1. Dear Moto, thank you for sparing us the trouble of dodging your 2.2 froyo update and making it easy to stay rooted...Much love - Steven.

18. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

It's not going to update us because we already have the "latest" version. :)

19. mezdup

mezdup Well-Known Member

well yea that's fine. but we'll have to probably downgrade when further updates come out. if we want them that is.