• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I just got my Droid earlier today, and

It's GREAT. I love everything about it. I just can't seem to figure out one thing...When someone calls me, the correct sound is played, but when they system tries to notify me (of a text message) for example, I get the sound I associated with notifications but it only plays for about a second and then the sound switches to the default "DROOOID" robot notification sound. Is this a settings option I'm missing?

~Steven

no settings problem here,
On android devices texts plays notification tones.
You change notification tones and u'r good to go.

Messaging - menu - settings - notification settings.

I'm sayin that after I changed notification ringtone settings both from the Messaging application and the regular Settings application that it still does it.

This is what it's like
(1 second of chosen ringtone) (ringtone cuts off) (DROOOOOID)

Only happens when I receive notifications

Upvote 0
It's not the best work around, but you could try using Handcent and turn off the notifications from the default messaging app and see if that works?

This sounds like it would probably fix the problem. What I'm betting is the third party SMS app you're using has your selected notification sound, but the default SMS is still using the "Droid" sound. Or maybe the other way around...

Basically it sounds like you're getting notified twice for each SMS, one using whatever sound you chose and one using the default sound.

Upvote 0
If you have a 3rd party messaging app, then you are getting a notification from both. I had this issue when I first installed Handcent. If this is the case, just disable the notifications in the app that you don't plan on using.

BigRedGonzo

Hmmm. Ok then, I've been using chompSMS (I don't know if Handcent is better, should I switch?) and chompSMS in it of itself doesn't have a settings option for setting the ringtone, unless I'm missing something. Maybe chompSMS is using the DROOOID sound as a default and possibly only ringtone for notifications?

Upvote 0
If you're still unclear, even if you're using ChompSMS, the default Android messaging app--Messaging--is also still accessing your incoming messages. So, you should open it, go to the settings, and disable Notifications and any other "auto" options that you don't need anymore.

I don't have ChompSMS anymore, so I can't tell you if there are settings in that app for customizing your notifications sounds, but I'm pretty sure there should be. I switched to Handcent, which I think is much better, especially the quick response window that pops up when a message is received. Super handy!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones