So I may have solved my battery drain issue...Tips

Last Updated:

1. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

Having tried everything listed in the 20+ topics on the subject (Screebl, Brightness, JuiceDefender, etc, etc) and still dealing with pretty awful battery life I was desperatly looking for something to help me make it though the day...

I was poking around in settings when I found a setting that seems to have really helped a lot.

From home...

Menu > Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks (second one) > Enable Always-On -- checked by default, I unchecked it.

It says in its description that it may cause battery drain 'on certain' networks.

Gentleman, I think by certain, they mean CDMA.

I lost the first 15% of my battery (100% down yes 85%) this morning with the phone sitting asleep while I showered and got dressed to go to work. About an hour, I didn't touch it.

Tonight, I took it off the charger at 6:00 -- with fairly moderate use, few calls, 25+ texts, 5-10 emails and a bit of browsing, it was down to 85% at 8:36.

JuicePlotter backs up my suspicion.

If you decide to try it, post up what change you notice; I hope it helps you guys as much as it has me.

Haelous, sjones765, spy21der and 10 others like this.
  2. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

The thing is if you are using a battery widget it will say the battery is at 100% when in fact its not. The last 10% takes 2-3 times as long as charging the first 90%, its well documented. This is why it jumps down so quickly to under 90% because when it was reading 100% it was in fact at 90%. What you did might have helped some, but not by as much as you think it might have.
  3. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

I'm not relying on the battery widget in the notification shade.
  4. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Any battery reporting app will give you the same readings, its not actually gathering the data on its own, its tapping into system resources to get the reading in the first place.
  5. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member

Ok problem is: dont your apps need that on to sync properly?
  6. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

They connect when data is needed, rather than sitting on while idle.
  7. absolution

absolution Well-Known Member

I've been trying to figure out what "mobile networks" is myself. There's a widget you can add to toggle it on/off, but I don't understand it.
  8. The Antagonist

The Antagonist Active Member

I'm giving this a shot. I just looked in the settings on my "old" moto droid and this particular setting is not an option. Must be a setting specific to HTC devices (or maybe it's hidden on the droid)
  9. Scincidae

Scincidae Active Member

Does this stop you from getting push notifications or anything like that?
  10. chris61292

chris61292 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure turning this off will make you have to manually refresh everything such as weather, facebook, twitter and what not
  11. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

No, when an application requests data, the phone connects, sends/receives the requested information then logs off.
  12. Scincidae

Scincidae Active Member

That doesn't answer if 3rd party servers can contact your phone since only your phone can request the data.
  13. The Antagonist

I can confirm that it does not affect gmail...I've received 5 messages since turning the setting off.
  14. Steel36

Steel36 Well-Known Member

nevermind, already addressed
  15. The Antagonist

Doesn't gmail use push? If so, my above post stands.
  16. avodub

avodub Member

Can someone explain to me the difference between the always on mobile data, and the background data option under "general sync settings". There's also a "auto-sync" option.
  17. ryanx27

ryanx27 Well-Known Member

I wonder if disabling Always-On will prevent the battery-killing issue people are seeing where the phone constantly switches from 3G to 1x.
  18. phorts

phorts Well-Known Member

Seems to be a setting that doesnt effect any updating of apps like facebook, weather, etc and allows all vmail, email, txt and calls to come in np.

Someone in that thread said they talked to a very knowledgeable CSR that said the setting is only for access to non-verizon towers that Verizon contracts the use of. I dunno really, i cant find any definitive answer on this from HTC or Android but it appears to be an HTC setting.

From all accounts it saves battery life and doesnt effect application..

so..i'm in.
    secretLOVER likes this.
  19. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Interesting find. I'll give it a shot as well
  20. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

Still really noticing a difference.
    HeroHannah and ramcharger1979 like this.
  21. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member

I to notice no performance change but seems better on battery
  22. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

im not having a real battery drain issue but i turned it off and am gonna test it for a few days.

23. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

I will have to keep an eye on this thread.
  24. ThreeFingersDown

ThreeFingersDown Well-Known Member

Great find man. I've been playing with my phone constantly all day so saying I get bad batter life (around 8 hrs a charge) is kind of a moot point, but this might help anyway!

25. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member

We should all report back tomorrow!