• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I may have solved my battery drain issue...

Just a quick update. I'm getting pretty much the same battery life as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I took the phone off charge 13.5 hours ago and I have 30% left on the battery. I will admit that I probably didn't use the phone as much today as I have in the previous days. I still made/received calls, text'd and toyed with the phone. Just to see the affect I changed the weather, FB, twitter and my mail to update sooner than I originally had them. No issues with those changes and i have had no problems receiving any app updates. I still have GPS and Bluetooth off for the most part and I manage brightness and wifi as the situation dictates. I'm starting to think that going back and forth between 3G and 1x is whats eating our batteries ((shrug)). For tomorrow, I think I'm going to try the airplane trick. I expect to use the phone more heavily too. hth

Upvote 0
Personally I'm on my 12th hour unplugged with heavy talk/data/bluetooth usage ("heavy" moderate" are such arbitrary terms... roughly 50 texts, browsed around some mobile web, maybe 30 minutes total and about 2 hours of talk to via BT headset and BT speakerphone)

I'm at 33% battery.

Those results versus the ~7 hours I got with roughly the same usage prior to this find... I'll for sure. I can certainly get by with 13-14 hours of usage without a charge on a stock battery.

Upvote 0
I tried this and still receive my email notifications but my facebook doesnt update. I just got this phone and was wondering how to change the time certain applications and widgets refresh on their own?

Thanks, cant really note on the productivity of battery life for this yet cause just changed the setting but ill let ya know tomrrow

Upvote 0
I tried this and still receive my email notifications but my facebook doesnt update. I just got this phone and was wondering how to change the time certain applications and widgets refresh on their own?

Thanks, cant really note on the productivity of battery life for this yet cause just changed the setting but ill let ya know tomrrow
Lots of sync frequency options are in Settings->Accounts & Sync. You can change FB update from 1 hour down to once per day. My facebook update was stuck before. Not sure what got it working again. I think FB widget has hiccups sometimes.

Upvote 0
Question for all of you: any of you have Google Voice installed?

Because, for me at least, only when I uninstalled it (so the service never started up on it's own) did I experience a DRASTIC improvement in battery life. I tried turning off sync, and that didn't work. I literally had to completely remove it.

I made this same post somewhere else: Do widgets that update badly drain your battery? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

But the summary is that I was getting 10-12hrs on my new Evo without doing a single thing. Ever since I uninstalled Google Voice from my phone, I've been experiencing 30-36hrs of uptime depending on usage. This is syncing 4 email accounts, weather, and with GTalk running a few hours during the day. Dunno what it is about Google Voice, but something funky is going on.

Give it a try. If you don't have it installed already, I have no idea what your deal is :p All I can offer is what worked for sure on mine and my wife's (she has a Samsung Moment).

Upvote 0
Question for all of you: any of you have Google Voice installed?

Because, for me at least, only when I uninstalled it (so the service never started up on it's own) did I experience a DRASTIC improvement in battery life. I tried turning off sync, and that didn't work. I literally had to completely remove it.

I made this same post somewhere else: Do widgets that update badly drain your battery? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

But the summary is that I was getting 10-12hrs on my new Evo without doing a single thing. Ever since I uninstalled Google Voice from my phone, I've been experiencing 30-36hrs of uptime depending on usage. This is syncing 4 email accounts, weather, and with GTalk running a few hours during the day. Dunno what it is about Google Voice, but something funky is going on.

Give it a try. If you don't have it installed already, I have no idea what your deal is :p All I can offer is what worked for sure on mine and my wife's (she has a Samsung Moment).

Nice idea! But i need google voice :(

Upvote 0
i tried this today. changed settings last night. turned phone off.unplugged at 8 am and have not had to plug back in until 10pm. still get all my emails and messages with no problem. weather updates like normal. before i would get maybe 6 hours out of phone before having to charge. 14 hours with pretty heavy use, playing games and surfing web. checking email. i am constantly on this phone. i am really impressed with the battery now. i ordered a 1500 battery a couple days ago, so should be able to get longer life with that one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones