so i think i've bricked my phone.

Last Updated:

1. Iforgetus

Iforgetus Member This Topic's Starter

i was using rom manager to install the 2.1 rom w/ radio etc and as it was installing, the phone shut off. now i've tried everything i know and it just won't turn on. is there anything i can do or am i just hosed?

Advertisement
  2. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

IF you can get to the bootloader(Hold the D-pad while powering up), you can flash the .SBF

If not, you may just he "hosed". Usually getting powered off/unplugged during flashing is bad news for any storage device,including the flash memory inside the Droid.

3. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Well-Known Member

Did you pull the battery for 30 seconds? Installing an application with ROM manager should never cause the phone to not turn back on. Was your battery low to begin with, because if so then you need to charge it.

4. Larry_ThaGr81

If you have ROM manager you would have been required to Flash Clockwork MOD, which is a recovery system and hopefully you selected to backup you data before you installed it. That way you can just select the nandroid option and choose your most recent backup.

5. Iforgetus

the battery was at or near 100% when it happened. i've tried taking the battery out for a few minutes and then putting it back in, still nothing. right now its plugged in with a wall charger with the battery in.

well damn, this sucks.

6. Iforgetus

i know what i need to do IF my phone turns on, but its just not. i hold the power button and nothing happens

7. droidpcguru

Have you tried holding the d-pad while powering up? It is in a different block than the recovery system and sometimes can load even if recovery and boot are fubar'ed.

8. glitch32

glitch32 Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I have heard of people pulling the battery for a few hours, or leaving it plugged in for a few hours and all of a sudden can get back into their phones. I'm sure you've tried that already though.

9. Iforgetus

there is no "powering up" though.

10. Larry_ThaGr81

Yeah, this is extremely unusual, for that to happen. What options did you select before you restarted your phone to update your current ROM?

11. Iforgetus

there weren't really any options, i chose the 2.1 rom and the progress bar started then when it got to about 50% the phone went black and turned off. I've not been able to power it on since.

12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

^^^^^Do this, if nothing happens then try installing RSD Lite and see if it finds your Droid when you plug it into the PC with the USB. If it finds it then you can flash the SBF, if not then you need a new Droid.

13. Larry_ThaGr81

So you were in the process of downloading it, you never actually made it to Clockwork Mod recovery system to do the actual install.

14. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

If that's the case then were looking at something totally different, or possibly some type of display error in RM.

15. Iforgetus

ok i let it sit for a while and got it to the bootloader. i think its going to be fine i'll update you guys once i'm done

16. Larry_ThaGr81

That is awesome

17. Iforgetus

Well, looks like i'm back up an running. I think that's going to be my last venture into rooting. all i wanted was some wireless tethering and the hq camcorder tweak (tear)

thanks a lot for your help, guys.

18. dblock110

dblock110 Well-Known Member

ive installed that same rom, from the stock images section of rom manager. i do not see any radio though

19. droidpcguru

I believe he was referring to the new baseband.

20. cerebrix

cerebrix Active Member

i wouldnt give up. what you went thru is likely the WORST thing you'll ever see

(save for overclocking to 2 ghz and then watching your droid suddenly cry out for help and then just stop) :p