So I took my Defy apart last night...Support

Last Updated:

1. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

...the call of the exposed Torx screws (#5) was just too much. I wanted to see if I could get to the antennae test pots, and improve reception,

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/19985-homemade-antenna-breakthrough-3g-1x-switching.html

...since there are a few buildings in my town where signal has a hard time
    penetrating. Unfortunately, my results were not as good on the Defy as the Droid. I'll keep trying to connect to other antennae, as the (2) pots exposed by removing the plugs (see pic #4) did not seem to help. When attaching wire to the pot on the left, my wifi signal seemed to improve by about 10dBm, but results were sporadic. Ultimately, I'd like to sure up the GSM antenna with more internal "wire".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement
    gregzeng, waypoint and NiteWalker like this.
  2. NiteWalker

NiteWalker Member

Nice job! It looks like there's some parts easily replaced if need be, like the rubber covers and the volume rocker. I might take mine apart to try to fix the rocker; it's a bit wobbly. Hittin the white case with some vinyl dye seems like it would be pretty easy too.

Hmmm.....

3. colnago

If I can offer one caveat, when separating the case, try to lift the circuit board (i.e. USB port/board) out, along with the white frame. The port extends into the white frame making it very difficult to just remove the white frame on its own.

Also, there are (2) tan colored rubber grommets/bushings that are resting in the board, not mounted in any way. If the case "pops" open, just make sure they don't fly out...like they did with me.

Rocker key/power key just slide in place, and are not held in by anything. The whole process is pretty straight forward.

gregzeng likes this.
  4. MIKEEEEE

MIKEEEEE Member

varying the antenna length alters the resonating frequency of the antenna.

when you're extend of shorten it even half a millimeter the resonating frequency is drastically altered.

that's why the caps, not pots are there so when they assemble the phones, they optimize the resonant frequencies by tweaking the caps with a fixed frequency on the bench.

did you see any telltales that were broken when you opened it up?

i'm very reluctant to open the puppy up as it works so darn well for me.

remember, if it aint broke don't fix it.

gregzeng likes this.
  5. colnago

No doubt.

Everything was "clean" inside, and functioning properly after the re-assemble. For the most part reception is really good, save for the few spots I frequent where it is weak. I was worried that there may have been some chemical seal that would be irreversibly broken if the case were opened...non-issue. There are rubber surrounds that seal the screen, and not affected when taking apart, but everything is as you see it in the pics. Just bolt back together.

I'm reluctant to give up my AT&T phone, and use the Defy on AT&T all the time, as the unlimited minutes plan on T-Mo is so much cheaper. i just wanted to sure up the reception so that I will always have signal, given that I'm on call 24/7. That and I'm not sure how not having 1900 band 3G will play out in my area.

6. bfready

bfready Active Member

Hey, off topic (sorry). Can you see what type of CPU is in the Defy? OMAP 3610 or 3630?

7. stevechou

stevechou Member

Is anywhere else showing more high resolution pictures? I didn't find except here.

8. stevechou

stevechou Member

I want to know, too. I really confuse with it.

9. colnago

I pulled up the sticker with the IMEI number, and that thicker black protection (?) sticker is covering the main chipset...not able to tell. I'll post "larger" pics tonight. If you guys really want to know, Torx screw #5 will remove all (9) screws. ;)

10. MIKEEEEE

MIKEEEEE Member

don't pull the sticker off the cpu!

it's probably a heat sink that sucks heat away from the cpu.

remember there's a lot of heat generated @800mhz that needs to be dissipated away from parts and in a sealed unit like the DEFY it gets even more difficult.

11. colnago

I only pulled up the "informational sticker", not the thicker black tape, and put it back down after taking a few pics...hence the reason why I could not confirm the system processor model.

12. stevechou

stevechou Member

Where is new pics?

13. colnago

Patience Grasshopper...some people have more pressing things to do than to "post larger pics of pics which are already posted".

[​IMG]

waypoint and stevechou like this.
  14. stevechou

stevechou Member

sorry for that,
    and thank you very much!
    (seems you have a lot pics, would you mind to send a email that contain more pics in RAR bag? or just continue to post)

15. csabika

csabika Active Member

is that red wire around the case is the antenna?

thanks
    John

16. colnago

Ibelieve that it is just a seal, as it stayed within the black frame when I lift the mainboard. From what I can tell, there is good indication that the black wire is the cellular antena, since the the termination lines up with an antenna on the white frame.

17. connectandroid

connectandroid Well-Known Member

wow thanks, anyone can pinpoint where the earpiece part is ?

18. Juan5151

Juan5151 New Member

Hey I recently purchased the Motorola Defy and stupidly broke my touchscreen :(. Also I had did not buy the insurance on the phone and T-mobile wants to charge me $400's for a fix! Is there any way to take out the touchscreen and replace it with a new one without breaking or harming any of the internal mechanisms :confused:?

19. colnago

There is a website in China, vague I know, but my co-worker actually ordered from there without issue, which sells all kinds of replacement parts, including panels for my Nokia N900. $80 for a panel beats having to buy a replacement phone any day. I'm sure the Defy's screen could be easily sourced and replaced. It would basically snap into place within the black housing pictured above, and there is only a ribbon cable that would snap onto the mainboard.

Juan5151 likes this.
  20. Juan5151

Juan5151 New Member

Okay will do. Thanks

21. gregzeng

gregzeng Member

Direction-bias on the DEFY was not obvious to me - as per Iphone reports, plus my previous HTC HD2.

Also checked this with Android signal strength software, both WLAN & 3G.

Australian Capital Territory, Telstra.

22. ollyshaw

ollyshaw Member

How did you break it?

Olly